Humanistic theology and the educational system
Table of Contentss
- Definition of Humanitarianism… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … ..1
- General Issue of Concern… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … .2
- Relevance to Christian Education… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … 3
- Definition of Significant Footings… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … ..5
- Review and Interaction of Literature from a Biblical Perspective… … .5
- Deduction for Christian Education… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … 8
- Decision and Summary… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … 11
- Bibliography… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … ..12
The inflow of humanistic divinity into the educational system has given rise to considerable tenseness within the Christian community in the recent old ages.
Questions have been asked of what humanitarianism is and where it comes from. Humanism is a methodological analysis that concentrates on the public assistance or advancement and felicity of all humanity in this alone and lone life.
Humanitarianism can be traced back to the times of Democritus and Aristotle of Ancient Greece. ( Lamont, 1992 ) . Its tie to the Grecian civilization resulted in heathen characteristics such as glory of world ( Dodgen, 1986, 195 ) . ) . It is said that the Greek set about humanising everything. They humanized God, nature and day-to-day life, and it is out of these Acts of the Apostless that great minded work forces measured all things and gave a house and baronial organic structure of criterions to the human life which came after them ( King ) .
The theory of humanitarianism as said has given rise and considerable tenseness within the Christian community. This brings out wonder to cognize what the statement of concern is. Well Humanism is a school of idea that gives primacy to the survey of human demands and involvement, for case looking at the theory of Abraham Maslow and his definition of humanitarianism which says “The focal point of the humanistic position is on the one ego who translates to, “you” and “your” perceptual experience of “your” experiences.
This position proposed by Maslow argues that you are free to take “your” ain behavior instead than respond to environmental stimulations or reinforces. This statement is besides in contrast to the beliefs of operant conditioning developed by the American research psychologist Burrhus Frederic Skinner. Skinner believed that all behavior is the consequence of application of effects.
The theory of humanitarianism emphasized on religion in action. Faith in action but non in a good manner. Humanism teaches that it is immoral to wait for God to move for us. It emphasizes that we must move to halt the wars and the offenses and the ferociousness of ties and future ages. Humanism says we have powers of singular sort. We have a high grade of freedom in taking what we will make. It tells us that whatever our doctrine of the universe may be, finally the duty for the sort of universe in which we live in prevarications with us.
All this brings the fact that the issue of concern is that humanitarianism is a doctrine for those who love themselves, a doctrine of imaginativeness and it is focused upon human’s agencies for groking world. It does non go forth any room for God as the Creator of the existence instead it merely portrays God as one who ordains the good or bad that we do.
Hence Humanism causes tenseness because it does non continue the legitimacy of the religious universe and God being the divinity of all things
All that left aside the apprehension of humanitarianism becomes relevant to the patterns of Christian instruction when one begins to look at the rules of humanistic instruction or educational humanitarianism. Keep in head that humanitarianism did non birth in a conference room, educational reform or legislative act. It has been influenced by people of different Fieldss.
Possibly it is the protagonism by the modern or realistic humanists that seems to hold drawn the anger of spiritual leaders towards humanitarianism, particularly fundamentalist Christians. This is in malice of the fact that modern humanists advocate a rigorous separation of church and province, particularly in the sphere of public instruction.
When humanitarianism is applied to education it encompasses a assortment of premises about the instructor, scholar, course of study and the context of larning. There are a batch of rules and each rule highlights the apprehension of humanistic instruction. Some of the rule and aims that can be seen as basic are:
- Teachers should be swearing, sincere and empathic with their pupils. They should value their pupils and keep them with high respect. This as proposed by Carl Rogers who concludes that such an attitude on the portion of the learning leader would put phase for successful experiences and pupils would go more self accepting and aware of themselves.
- As proposed by Gage and Berliner ( 1991 ) there are five aims that a instructor must run into which are: promote positive autonomy and independency, develop the ability to take duty for what is learned, develop creativeness, develop wonder and in conclusion make an involvement in the humanistic disciplines in pupils. This can besides be known as patronizing invitational acquisition.
- Affectional factors should be explored every bit much as the cognitive dimension of schoolroom direction ( Beihler, 1986, 399 ) . Research by Bayer ( 1986 ) indicates that kids who are taught in an ambiance which is conclusive to effectual acquisition will besides hold a more positive ego construct ( 130-131 ) .
- The relationship between the instructor and the student has of import impact on the acquisition procedure. Thomas Gordon ( 1974 ) a popular humanist pedagogue, describes a healthy instructor pupil relationship. He says that the relationship between a instructor and a pupil is good when it has ( 1 ) openness or transparency-so each is able to put on the line straightness and honestness with the other, ( 2 ) caring-whereby each know they are valued by the other, and in conclusion ( 3 ) mutuality on one another.
- William Purky ( 1978 ) name attending to the relationship between a student’s self-concept and scholastic accomplishment and recommends that teachers develop and use accomplishment of invitational acquisition. Such a accomplishment as learning pupils names, holding one on one contact with them outside of category, praising and confirming them, showing personal and schoolroom subject, and being transparent with personal feeling will assist the kid acknowledge his/her values and capablenesss or in other word act uponing self efficaciousness.
- That all instructors must ever maintain in head that larning is facilitated when the student is prized, valued and respected by the instructor who can care without being genitive. This is what Abraham Maslow would name publicity of ego realization which would force pupils to work really hard.
- Teachers should utilize techniques for promoting pupils to place with others, stress with them, and associate their feelings to the feeling of others. Teachers are to back self finding or self ordinance to do pupils accountable for their action and picks.
Looking at those rules of humanistic instruction it becomes clear that many of them are based upon sound rules of instruction.
It would non be hard to mention scriptural mentions to show illustrations organize Bible where many of the rules can be seen. That is non to state that educational humanitarianism has its roots in Bible, because such a statement would be based on defective methods of hermeneutics.
For person who would analyze humanitarianism there are a few key footings that would assist them understand more about humanitarianism and what it stands for when it comes to instruction. Some of these are:
- Self-efficacyis the extent or strength of one ‘s belief in one ‘s ain ability to finish undertakings and range ends. This can be seen as the ability to prevail and a individual ‘s ability to win with a undertaking. As an illustration, self-efficacy straight relates to how long person will lodge to a exercise regimen or a diet. High and low self-efficacy determines whether or non person will take to take on a ambitious undertaking or compose it off as impossible.
- Self-actualizationMaslow explicitly defines self-actualization to be “ the desire for self-fulfilment, viz. the inclination for him [ the single ] to go actualized in what he is potentially. This inclination might be phrased as the desire to go more and more what one is, to go everything that one is capable of going
- Self- finding, the procedure by which a individual controls their ain life.
- Invitational acquisition,William Purky said“no facet of instruction is more of import than the feeling on the portion of the instructor that the single pupil is of import, valuable, and can larn in school”
However humanitarianism goes much further than modernism in its position towards the bible.the position of the humanist is much more extremist. Humanism believes in few things that as Christians we may see them as blasphemy. Some of which are ;
- “We believe nevertheless those tradition dogmatic or autocratic faiths that place disclosure, God or creed above human need do a ill service to the human species… … As non-theists ; we begin with worlds, non God, nature non deity” .
- As Paul Blanshard, an editor of the Humanist ( a slick national publication ) wrote: “The revivalists reverentially call the Bible “The Book” , and they say it is God’s word. Let’s be blunt about it. By no stretch of the imaginativeness can the bible be called either the revealed word of God or the errorless work of God. It is non one book, and it is non holy. It is really bad history and even of questionable ethical motives… ”
- Looking at this we see that humanitarianism is non apathetic toward the Bible-but is at all out ward against it. The citations are to the full typical and representative of humanistic believing toward any disclosure from God.
The lone manner Christians can battle their barbarous and despairing influences of humanitarianism and its war on the Bibles, is by being so knowing and conversant in the Bibles that can efficaciously exert the mighty blade of the Spirit.
The kernel of positive pride is assurance and contentment, a sense of gratitude and achievement in the productive usage of your gift ( Faw, 134-136 ) . There is a demand to hold a Biblical position of the individual and human experiences in order to right understand the penetrations contained in certain theories. The truths about human nature in Bible focal point mostly on our relationship with God and our demand for redemption He entirely can supply ( Faw, 137 ) .
A Christian who meditates upon the word of the Godhead and keeps in his bosom will hold no trouble seeing the huge high quality of Christianity over humanitarianism or any other vain doctrine. The Bible has something existent and stable.
The Bible offers a perfect usher for twenty-four hours to twenty-four hours life: learning the value of clip ( Eph. 5:15-16 ) ; honestness ( Eph. 4:25,28 ) ; the seting off of every frailty which is harmful to one ‘s ego and others ( Col. 3:5-9 ) ; benevolence and kindness in idea and title ( Col. 3:11-14 ) . The Bible condemns all fondness and bias ( Col. 3:11 ; Gal. 3:26-28 ; James 2:19 ) . The Bible Teachs moderateness, forbearance, and peace ( Phil. 4:4-8 ) .
Humanitarianism stresses that this life is all there is – that our being is highly brief and finally hopeless. The Bible, on the other manus, teaches us that while the outward adult male perishes, the inward adult male is renewed twenty-four hours by twenty-four hours. God ‘s word offers us ageless life and provides the motive to populate an honorable, godly life that we might populate everlastingly with God.
The Bible and humanistic doctrine are at war. The conflict is acrimonious, but there is merely one manner that evil can predominate: If Christians fail to analyze and pattern the instruction of God ‘s word.
There is a major difference between the belief system of the couriers of God and those who reject the word of God. Others find their beliefs humanistically upon their groundss signifier senses, logic, doctrine and observation. Alternatively of establishing their homo survey upon the word of God, they sought to prove the Word of God by their human survey.
Paul warned: “As you have hence received Christ Jesus the Godhead, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the religion… . Beware lest anyone darnel you through doctrine and empty fraudulence, harmonizing to the tradition of work forces, harmonizing to the basic rules of the universe, and non harmonizing to Christ” ( Colossians 2:6-9 ) .
The difference between the humanistic system of the universe and God’s system is outlined in 1Corinthians 1 and 2. The universe bases religion in the wisdom of work forces. Some seek signs- that which can be measured, seen, touched, tasted, and heard. Others look for Philosophical logical thinking.
Humanistic and Biblical constructs of religion can be compared in many ways some of which are:
The humanitarianism starts with uncertainty in order to turn out averment while the Bible starts with the gift of God. Humanism relies on the liberty of humanity while the bible relies upon the word of God. Humanism is based on 5 senses while the Bible is based on the power of God instead than the wisdom of work forces. The comparings are many but the point still stand that humanitarianism can non assail the Bible because God gave us all our logical thinking abilities and our senses excessively.
All this raises the inquiry that, what is the deduction for Christian instruction. The focal point of humanitarianism is slightly funny as other scientific theories sing worlds larning and behaviors besides advocate a purely mercenary position of human’s existences. The general issue of concern is how humanitarianism affects Christian instruction and slightly advocates a purely mercenary position of human existences. Its focal point has been on assisting the pupil go ‘’humanized’’ or ‘’ self-actualized therefore assisting the pupil discover, become and develop his or her existent ego and full potency.
This brings us to what deduction humanitarianism has on Christian instruction. Humanist attack to larning agencies a procedure that is inevitable and alone for every person. Humanist attack considers human being as the cardinal portion of acquisition by humanistic attack.
Topographic point of the kid in teaching-learning:
Harmonizing to this attack pupil plays a cardinal function in whole teaching-learning procedure. This attack believes in child-centred-education. This attack, considers that we should foremost understand the demands, involvements, abilities, age degree, attitudes, aptitude of pupils so seek to form learning larning procedure harmonizing to these.
It emphasizes on range, touch and teaches the kid harmonizing to his nature, and involvements. All learning stuff and its procedure must be related to single features of pupils.
2. Emphasis on individualism:
Harmonizing to this attack every person has his ain individualism. Teacher should esteem and develop this individualism through instruction.
Individual differences should be respected and internal virtuousnesss of single be developed. Teacher should understand this individualism and form his/her teaching-learning procedure harmonizing to this individualism.
3. Understanding the kid:
Harmonizing to this attack, we should understand the kid foremost of all, and so learn him. We, as a instructor, should cognize our pupils, their involvement, personality, capablenesss and background environment and usage instruction methods and content consequently.
Because this attack believes in pupil centred instruction so before instruction, a instructor should understand pupils exhaustively.
4. Method of instruction:
In this attack instructor should utilize methods of learning which are based on psychological rules. Teacher should non utilize teacher centeredness and traditional methods of learning in it.
Teacher should stress on active acquisition which could see the scholar. Teacher should utilize the methods which could learn harmonizing to demands, involvements, abilities and attitudes of scholars.
Learner ‘s preparedness, mental set and motive are considered as footing for make up one’s minding the method of learning to be used. So teacher should utilize scholar centred advanced methods of instruction.
Teacher should non coerce pupil to be disciplined. He/she should promote self subject and self-denial among pupils. Students should be given the duty of to be disciplined.
6. Topographic point and function of the instructor:
Harmonizing to this attack pupil plays a cardinal function in learning learning procedure. Teacher acts as a usher, friend or assistant of the pupils.
Students should freedom to develop and do advancement harmonizing to their ain gait, demands and involvements. Teacher should be considered as the milepost in the journey of entire development of the kid.
Teacher should non coerce his ain methods and positions on pupils but he should be merely a usher in this development procedure.
Looking at all this we wrap it all up in a nutshell that the deduction or effect that humanitarianism has on Christian instruction is that it helps Christian pedagogues become better instructors, pedagogues and facilitator.
Having discussed all this we see that we come to a decision that humanitarianism is a rational doctrine informed by scientific discipline, aspired by art, and motivated by compassion. System of values and beliefs that is based on the thought that people are fundamentally good and their jobs can be solved utilizing ground alternatively of faith. We have seen what the general issue of concern is on humanitarianism signifier a Christian position. We have besides seen why the apprehension of the subject is relevant to Christian instruction and in conclusion the deductions it has for Christian instruction. That humanitarianism gives primacy to the survey of human demands and involvements.
. ( n.d. ) .. Retrieved, from hypertext transfer protocol: //www.mc.mancopu.edu/dept/d46/psy/des/fallas.
Anthony, M. J. ( 2001 ) . Humanitarianism.Evangelical Dictionary of Christian Education( erectile dysfunction, ) . : Baker Book House Company.
Bayer. D.L. ( 1986 ) .The Teaching and Learning Process.
Beihler.R. F. and Snowman. J. ( 1986 ) .Humanitarianism in the schoolroom: An Eclectic Approach to Teaching and Learning.
Blanshard. Paul. ( 1978 ) .Humanism versus Orthodoxy. Truth Magazine.
Dodgen.D.J. , & A ; McMinn.M.R. ( 1986 ) .Journal of Psychology and Theology.
Dolio.J. ( 2000 ) .Symposium on the Bible and Adventist Scholarship( ed. ) . Dominican Republic: Dominican democracy publishing houses.
Pot, N. , & A ; Berliner, D. ( 1991 ) .Educational psychological science( 5 ed. ) . Boston: Houghton, : Mifflin.
Lamont. C. ( 1982 ) . The Humanist Altenative.
Lefrancois, G. R. ( ) .Psychology for Teaching( ed. ) . Boston: Houghton, : Wadsworth.
Moody. T. ( ) . Humanitarianism And The Bible:Truth Magazine. Louisville, Kentucky/
Rogers.C, & A ; Freiberg, H.J. ( 1994) . Freedom to Learn ( 3rderectile dysfunction ) .New York: Macmillan/Merrill.
Rogers.C. ( 1969 ) .Freedom to larn ( 1sted. ) .New York: Macmillan/ Merrill.
Faw, W. Harold. ( 1995 ) . Psychology in a Christian Perspective, an Analysis of Key Issues. Baker Books