Biography Essay: Definition, How to Write and Examples
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all the help you need with your essay and educational goals.Get Access
Often, when applying for a job, enrolling for training, passing an exam, on the case of the need to join a club or a community on social networks, the applicant needs to provide a short story about himself. It can be issued in the format of an autobiography or resume. There are no strict rules for biography essay format, most often these documents are created in free form. And, although you can often see typical forms on the web that tell how to write a biography about yourself on points, nevertheless, creative approach is more appreciated. Let’s find out how to write a great biography essay and what mistakes to avoid.
What is Biography Essay?
Biography is a document that must be compiled by each student independently. It displays the basic life stages, as well as the personal qualities and goals of the person at a given time. Depending on the purpose, it makes sense to include different information in your biography.
How to Write a Biography Essay
It should be said that there are no special requirements for writing autobiographies. Therefore, it is necessary to compose an autobiography guided by the general requirements for writing business letters. First of all, let’s write an outline.
- Your autobiography should not be very voluminous. Try to be concise. The maximum volume of the written should not be more than 1-2 sheets of text. As practice shows, long “essays” will not help you make a better impression on the reader – they will rather produce the opposite effect.
- The essay should not contain errors, the general form of the presentation is business style. When considering your autobiography, the reader will pay attention not so much to the written, as to the form in which it is done. For this reason, a competent speech will allow you to win “additional points”.
- All events described by you must be presented in chronological order, logically and consistently. That is, you can not immediately after the story about the school go to work, skipping other educational institutions, or at first tell about the place of work, and then mention the education received.
- The information about you, stated in the autobiography, must be genuine. The inclusion of erroneous or inaccurate information may prevent you from obtaining the desired job (or achieve a different goal) and create not the best business reputation.
The biography begins with the presentation. You should mention your surname, name, and year of birth. It is not necessary to write a place of birth, but the place of permanent residence is compulsory. Also, it is necessary to mention the marital status, indicate the age of the children.
The next point is education. It does not need to specify in detail how successful you were in school, it’s enough to mention which school was finished. For the employer, professional education will be of primary importance. In this paragraph, it is necessary to mention the educational institution, the received specialty, to designate the students’ years. Here you should also indicate courses, pieces of training, seminars, which helped you to improve your qualifications, as well as the dates of their passage.
Work, professional experience is an important point in the biography. Here it is necessary to indicate all workplaces, years, positions, responsibilities, general length of service. It is also useful to indicate your achievements, successes, awards, gratitude. In the last two paragraphs, a big plus will be an indication of achievements in the training and work field and not just a simple listing of dates and facts. So what can you write about yourself in this paragraph? You can tell that you were the best student in this or that subject, several times in a row graduated semester with the highest marks, became the best employee of the year, participated in conferences, was an activist, etc. Biography is a story about yourself, where you can present yourself in a better light.
It is necessary to specify personal qualities. Since the set of characteristics for each person is huge, you should mention those that will help you join the team. So, if you want to get a job, then describe the professional qualities, as well as communicative, organizational traits of character. If you want to become a volunteer, then compassion, humanity, love for people here will be appreciated.
Biography Essay Examples
An example of writing an autobiography is useful to any person since not everyone knows what data should be reflected in it. It’s understandable: you do not have to deal with this task every day. As a result, there are a lot of questions. For example, how correctly to write an autobiography, what should be reflected in it without fail and what rules of writing should be guided? Fortunately, you will be able to find out all the answers from this article so keep reading.
Questions to Consider in Your Biography if You Are a Student
If we talk about the student’s autobiography, then it is not superfluous to include in the text information about conferences, student competitions, scientific works that were prepared during the training. If the student is engaged in additional work in his field, then this experience requires reflection in the autobiography. You can tell about the passed practice as well. For the student, the most important is the reflection of an active life position, easy learning, and also a good level of theoretical preparation. If a student does sports, represents his university in competitions, then this information should also be included in the biography.
5 Tips on Writing Biography Essay
- For employment, such a document should emphasize the qualities important to the employer, in accordance with the position that you plan to occupy. This will be a kind of advertising of your working qualities and can play a positive role in making a decision to hire you.
- Describe the projects in which you participated, and which reflect your professional qualities to the maximum. Bring examples from practice that characterize the level of your professional training, the flexibility of thinking, the ability to work in a team, get on with the team, etc.
- List all the places of your training, professional development, but do not focus on it, unless you are just a young specialist who has graduated from the university without experience.
- It is desirable at once, without hiding, to reflect your wishes and preferences concerning the future work. If you are not a team man and can not work in a team, indicate this fact necessarily, do not break yourself, waste time and try to build a team relationship. As a rule, it still ends with dismissal.
- Evaluate your business qualities, describe the positive aspects. Pay attention to such qualities as sociability, responsibility, commitment, etc.