Employment Rights and Responsibilities Essay
1. Know the statutory responsibilities and rights of employees and employers within own area of work
1. List the aspects of employment covered by law 2. List the main features of current employment legislation 3. Outline why legislation relating to employment exists 4. Identify the sources and types of information and advice available in relation to employment responsibilities and rights.
2. Understand agreed ways of working that protect own relationship with employer
1. Describe the terms and conditions of own contract of employment
The terms and conditions of my contract of employment is an agreement between myself and The Warren Pre School that sets out my rights and responsibilities as an employee and also other conditions about my employment. For example:
• Rate of pay • Holiday entitlement • Duties and responsibilities
A signed copy of my contract of employment is kept in my file. Other information relating to my employment including disciplinary and grievance procedures, sickness absence, resignation and redundancy are outlined in my staff handbook.
2. Describe the information shown on own pay statement
My payslip contains the following information:
• My name and home address. • My tax code. This tells Warren Pre-School how much tax to deduct from my wages. • National Insurance Number • Deductions. This includes tax and national insurance. • Year to date. The total that I have been paid so far this financial year • Net pay. The total amount that has been paid to me once all my deductions have been made.
I have attached a copy of my payslip.
3. Describe the procedures to follow in the event of a grievance
The procedures that I must follow in the event of a grievance are detailed in my staff handbook and are as follows:
• If I was dissatisfied with any relevant area of my work I must have the opportunity for a prompt discussion with my immediate supervisor which would be the Nursery Manager. • If the grievance persisted I would need to raise a formal written grievance that would be considered by the Chair of the pre-school and two other committee members in the first instance. They would investigate my complaint and decide what, if any, action needed to be taken. • Next the decidio
4. Identify the personal information that must be kept up to date with own employer 5. Explain agreed ways of working with employer
3. Understand how own role fits within the wider context of the sector
1. Explain how own role fits within the delivery of the service provided 2. Explain the effect of own role on service provision 3. Describe how own role links to the wider sector 4. Describe the main roles and responsibilities of representative bodies that influence the wider sector
4. Understand career pathways available within own and related sectors
1. Explore different types of occupational opportunities 2. Identify sources of information related to a chosen career pathway 3. Identify next steps in own career pathway
5. Understand how issues of public concern may affect the image and delivery of services in the sector
1. Identify occasions where the public have raised concerns regarding issues within the sector 2. Outline different viewpoints around an issue of public concern relevant to the sector 3. Describe how issues of public concern have altered public views of the sector 4. Describe recent changes in service delivery which have affected own area of work.