What is the entering scene of wuthering heights? How does he describe it? What year is it ? What makes Lockwood enter the gate, despite Heathcliff’s rudeness?
– Mr. Lockwood describes his first visit to his landlord Mr. HeathCliff.
– He says how he notices the date 1500 and the name Hareton Shaw above the principal door , he says nothing about it because of heathcliffs impatience
– Heath Cliff does not seem excited to rent his home
– The word wuthering comes from the stormy conditions
– House is 300 years old, isolated
– there are old guns and horse pistols in the house
– Lockwood is an unwelcome guest
– sees dangerous dogs , old fashioned rooms
– He meets the servant Joseph (unfriendly)
– he is interested in a man less friendly than himself
Why is Mr.Lockwood renting Thrushcross Grange?
– He had fallen in love with a “real goddess” (6), but when she returned his affection he acted so coldly she “persuaded her mamma to decamp.”
– no friendliness , behaves and dresses the part of a gentlemen
-wuthering heights, a farm.
-foreign and unfriendly
– the dogs attacked lockwood because lockwood winked at them and made faces to them
-joseph and heathcliff make no effort to help lockwood
– (heathcliff lefts him alone to find joseph) and a servant broke it up
– Lockwood is drawn to him because he thinks heathcliff is intelligent and when heathcliff invites lockwood to come again, lockwood feels its insincere but is intrigued to come back
-What happens when Lockwood returns to Wuthering Heights?
– a young man appears and beckons lockwood to follow him
– lockwood sees a woman and thinks is heathcliffs wife which he tries to make conversation with but it doesnt work
-snowfall turns into snowstorm
-lockwood asks for assitstance finding his way back to the grange , unable to get help, he grabs a lantern to help him find the way
-joseph thinks hes stealing the lantern and tells the dogs to attack him
-lockwood suffers a nosebleed and is forced to spend the night at wuthering heights
Why does lockwood make a second visit? Who lets Lockwood into the house?Why does the lady refuse to make lockwood tea? Why does lockwood get into trouble? Who do the girl and guy turn out to be? Why can’t lockwood get help? Why is joseph frightened? How do heathcliff and hareton react to the dogs attacking lockwood, what is the end result?
– unless heathcliff says he can have some
– first assuming that the girl is Heathcliff’s wife, and then that she is married to the young man, who he supposes to be Heathcliff’s son.
-Heathcliff’s daughter-in-law but her husband is dead, as is Heathcliff’s wife. The young man is Hareton Earnshaw.
– heathcliff thinks its more important for hareton to take care of the horses
– the girl pretends to be a witch and joseph is religious
-they laugh, the cook Zillah takes lockwood and says he can stay
-How does Lockwood make himself look foolish to the young woman in the kitchen?
-How does Lockwood respond when she asks him if he has been invited to stay for tea?
-What does Lockwood intend to do when he incorrectly assumes she is married to Hareton?
– Who unexpectedly tries to accompany Lockwood home?
-How is Cathy related to Heathcliff?
-What causes Lockwood to run out of the house?
-He tells her that she is the proper person to have issued the invitation.
-He intends to make her regret choosing Hareton for a husband by making her fall in love with him.
-Hareton unexpectedly offers to escort Lockwood part of the way home
– Cathy is Heathcliff’s daughter-in-law, although her husband is dead.
-Insulted by Heathcliff’s insistence that he be under supervision while at the Heights, Lockwood runs outside, grabs a lantern, and tries to leave.
-Where does Zillah show lockwood to?
-What names does Lockwood notice over the window ledge?
-What does he begin to read? What’s it about?
-What is Lockwoods nightmare?
– What is his next dream?
-What is heathcliff’s reaction?
-what happens when lockwood goes to the kitchen? what does lockwood feel of this?
-what happens in the morning?
-catherine earnshaw, catherine linton, catherine heathcliff
-child Catherine’s diary, catherine and heathcliff were playmates as brother/sister, bullied by joseph who made them listen to sermons, and her older brother hindley.
-heathcliff was taken in by catherines father , but when father died hindley made him the servant
-of a preacher leading a violent mob
-that he wanted to open the window to get rid of the branch, but than a little hand grabbed his arm and said it was catherine linton , he wakes up screaming
– he comes in unaware mr.lockwood is in there, heathcliff becomes mad
– he hears heathcliff at the window begging cathy to come in, he feels embarassed to see him in agony
-lockwood witnesses an argument between heathcliff and the girl, heathcliff bullies her , heathcliff walks lockwood home
-How does Catherine view Hindley and his wife?
– What torments Lockwood during his first dream?
-What wakens Lockwood from this dream?
– How does Lockwood get free from the child’s grasp?( in the dream)
-How many years has the child’s ghost been wandering?
-What is Heathcliff’s reaction to Lockwood’s screams
-Why does Heathcliff raise his hand to Cathy?
-Lockwood is tormented by Joseph, who threatens him for his sins, and leads an attack on Lockwood.
-A dry fir tree branch, brushing against the window, awakens Lockwood.
-He tricks her into letting go by telling her he cannot let her in if she doesn’t let go.
-Heathcliff curses Lockwood for being in the room, threatens Zillah for taking Lockwood there, and, when alone, tearfully begs Catherine to enter.
-Heathcliff is infuriated by the sight of Cathy sitting idly reading instead of earning her keep. When she refuses to work, he raises his hand to hit her, but she jumps away.
-What does Lockwood do out of boredom?
– What does the person say of heathcliff?
– What does the person say of the girl?
-What does the person feel of younger catherine?
– how does the narrative change and how is the person’s language?
-Ellen says heathcliff is rich and a miser but has no family since his son is dead.
– the girl living in wuthering heights was the daughter of Ellen’s former employees , the Linton’s and her name was catherine . she is the daughter of the late mrs. catherine linton, was born an earnshaw, thus hareton’s aunt.
-heathcliffs wife was mr. linton’s sister
-ellen likes the younger catherine and is worried about her unhappy situation
– it changes to ellen, her language is plainer than lockwood’s , she is discreet, rarely reminding the reader of her presence in the story
– what is explained of ellen dean?
– what happened with mr earnshaw?
-what did catherine and hindley ask for?
– what did earnshaw return with?
– what what earn shaw reutrned with welcomed?
– how did hindley respond?
-what is an example?
-one day mr. earnshaw offered to bring his children hindley (14 years old) and catherine (6 years old) to liverpool
-catherine asked for a whip becuase she knew she was already an excellent horsewomen, hindley asked for a fiddle
– dirty black haired child found starving on the streets, the presents were lost or broken the boy was heathcliff
-not immediately, but than heathcliff and catherine became close and he came earnshaws favorite
-he was jealous and took it out on heathcliff
-earnshaw gave them each a colt, heathcliff chose the finest, which went lame. when hindley threw a heavy iron at him, heathcliff threatened to tell earnshaw about it if he didnt get the colt.
-How did earnshaw develop in his life?
– How were heathcliff and hindley treated in comparison?
– How did Joseph influence earnshaw?
– What did earnshaw think of hindley and catherine?
– how was earnshaw on his last day?
– what was cathy’s personality? heathcliff’s?
– How did earnshaw treat cathy?
– when did earnshaw die?
– what did ellen notice of that night?
-heathcliff was spoiled to keep earnshaw happy and hindley was a bitter about the situation so he was sent away to college
-joseph influenced earnshaw to distance him from his children
-earnshaw saw hindley as worthless and didn’t like cathy’s playfullness and high spirits
– he was irritable and discontented
– fond of heathcliff and liked to order people around, heathcliff would do anything she asked
-he was harsh to her and she become hardened
-one evening when cathy had been resting her head on his knee and heathcliff was lying on the floor with his head in her lap. when cathy went to kiss her father good night, she noticed he was dead and they began to cry.
– that heathcliff and cathy comforted each other
– Why does Heathcliff live at the Heights instead of the Grange?
-How is Cathy related to Hareton
-Who are the last remaining members of the Earnshaw and Linton families, respectively?
-How did Heathcliff get his name?
-What sort of relationship did Heathcliff have with Hindley?
-Where is Hindley when his father dies?
-How does Catherine generally behave
– Cathy and Hareton are first cousins; Cathy’s mother, Catherine, and Hareton’s father, Hindley, were siblings.
-Hareton is the last remaining member of the Earnshaw family, and Cathy is the last remaining Linton.
-He was named Heathcliff, after a son who had died in infancy.
-Heathcliff and Hindley hated one another; Hindley would physically torment Heathcliff, while Heathcliff used manipulative methods to antagonize Hindley.
-Hindley is away at college when his father dies, mostly because their relationship is so difficult.
– Catherine loves to tease her family and servants, yet is affectionate. She is considered too poorly behaved by her father to be his favorite.
-Who does Hindley return home with?
-How has Hindley’s personality changed?
– How did he treat the servants? heathcliff?
– How did heathcliff react?
– he has new manners and rules
-informed the servants that they would have to live in inferior quarters , treated heathcliff as a servant, stopping his education and making him work in the fields like any farm boy
-heathcliff didnt min because cathy taught him what she learned and worked and played with him in the fields , they stayed away from hindley and grew up uncivilized and free
-what happened one night when heathcliff and cathy ran off after being punished?
-how did heathcliff and cathy react to what they saw?
– what happened when they reacted?
– what did mr. and mrs. linton mistake them as? what did they do?
-what did hindley do when he found out?
– they laughed
– the lintons heard them and called for their parents. after making frightening noises, cathy and heathcliff tried to escape but a bull dog bit cathys leg and refused to let go , she told heathcliff to escape but he would not leave her, he tried to pry the animals jaws open
– as thieves, the lintons took them inside and than edgar recognized cathy as miss earnshaw, the lintons expressed their disgust at the childrens wild manners and at heathcliffs being allowed to keep cathy company
– they treated cathy and drove heathcliff out, he went back to wuthering heights on foot after assuring himself cathy would be okay
-hindley welcomed the chance to serparte cathy and heathcliff so cathy was to stay with the lintons while her led healed and heathcliff was forbidden to talk to her
-How long did Cathy stay at Thrushcross Grange? -How was she when she returned home?
– How did heathcliff respond?
-What did heathclif approach ellen for?
– how did ellen respond?
– who did heathcliff wish he could be more like?
-how did ellen respond?
-young lady, could no longer kiss ellen without worrying about getting flour on her dress, hurt heathlciffs feelings by comparing his darkness and dirtiness to edgar and isabellas fair complexions and clean clothes , new polish
– he ran out refusing to come in for supper
-since the linton children were invited to a christmas party the next day, heathcliff asked ellen to make him decent
-she applauded his resolution and reassured him that cathy still liked him and that she was grieved by his syness
– edgar (fair, rich, well-behaved),
-he could be perfectly handsome if he smiled more and was more trustful
-what happened when heathcliff tried to join the party? how did heathcliff respond?
– how did cathy respond?
– what did cathy do after the party?
– what happened when ellen gave heathcliff dinner ?
– how do lockwood and ellen’s narratives compare at this point?
-cathy was angry at edgar for mocking heathcliff and getting him in trouble, she kept up a good front but didnt enjoy herself thinking of heathcliff alone and beaten
– she crept into the garret where he was confined
-he ate litte and said he was thinking of how to avenge himself on hindley
-lockwood defends his lazy habits and ellen says she should get things done rather than just telling lockwood the story
-What is Nelly’s opinion of Frances?
-What stern measures does Hindley impose on Heathcliff?
-When does Nelly begin to feel guilty about Heathcliff?
-What advice does Nelly give Heathcliff
-What causes Heathcliff to swear everlasting revenge on Hindley?
-Hindley no longer allows Heathcliff to eat or live with the family. He is sent to live in with the servants and work among them.
-Alone in the kitchen, reflecting on Christmas’ past, Nelly begins to feel pity for Heathcliff, and resolves to try to help him.
-Nelly advises Heathcliff that a cheerful disposition will improve his looks; she also tries to boost his self-esteem by suggesting he is better looking than he thinks.
-The final insult for Heathcliff is having Hindley evict him in front of Edgar Linton. Unable to endure Hindley’s abuse any more, Heathcliff vows lifelong revenge.
-What happens to Hindley’s wife Frances?
– Did they think this would happen to her?
– who took care of the baby?
– how did this effect hindley?
– what happened to the household?
-how was heathcliff developing?
– did catherine like when edgar visited?
-Hindley believed she would get better, she would always say she felt better, but she died a few weeks after hareton’s birth
-ellen and she was happy to do so
– he grew desperate in his sorrow , he cursed and defied god and man and give himself up to reckless dissipation
– turned to violent confusion, neighbors stopped visiting except for edgar because of catherine
-the bad treatment and bad example by hindley made him notable for savage and sullenness and ferocity
-no because she had a hard time behaving consistently when edgar and heathcliff met or when they talked about eachother. edgars prescence made her feel as though she had to behave like a linton which was not natural for her
-What happened one day when hindley was away?
– who was edgar at this time?
-what happened when he came?
– what did catherine do? how did ellen respond?
– what did catherine respond?
– how did edgar respond?
– what did ellen hear and do?
-gentle, sweet young man
-heathcliff left, ellen stayed as a chaperone, catherine was annoyed by that
-she pinched ellen who was glad to have a chance to show edgar what catherine was like and cried out
– she dined pinching ellen and slapped her, then slapped edgar for reproving her
– edgar said he would go but than was to weak and enchanted by her stronger will to leave , they confessed themselves lovers
-heard hindley come home drunk and out of precaution unloaded his gun
– What is Mr. Kenneth’s diagnosis of Frances’ condition?
-How does Hindley react to Frances’ death?
-What happens to the household?
-What is Nelly’s opinion of Catherine’s attitude?
-How does Catherine maintain “a double character”?
-At the age of sixteen, how does Heathcliff appear?
-What is Heathcliff’s complaint when he visits Catherine?
-What does Catherine do to drive Edgar away?
-What advice does Nelly give Edgar?
-Hindley becomes despondent. He mainly gets drunk and returns home in wild and unpredictable moods.
-All the servants except for Nelly and Joseph leave. No one, not even the curate, comes to visit anymore.
– Nelly finds Catherine unbearably haughty, arrogant, and overly impressed with her own beauty.
-Catherine maintains a “double character” by remaining headstrong at home, but lady-like at the Lintons.
-Heathcliff has completely lost any self-esteem he might have had under Mr. Earnshaw’s protection. Unschooled and morose, he seems to encourage aversion rather than friendliness.
-Heathcliff complains that Catherine spends all her time with the Lintons instead of with him.
-Catherine has a peevish tantrum during which she pinches Nelly, lies about it, and hits Hareton and Edgar, as well.
-Nelly advises Edgar to leave once he has discovered Catherine’s true nature.
-How did Hindley come in? what did he threaten?
-What happened with hareton?
– what did heathcliff think?
-what did ellen say?
-what did hindley do when he was shaken?
-what did heathcliff tell nelly?
-he threatened to make nelly swallow a carving knife andeven tried to force it between her teeth but she bravely said she’d rather be shot and spat it out
-he took hareton and said he would crop his ears like a dog, to make him look fiercer and held the toddler over the banister , hindley heard heathcliff walk below and dropped the child but heathcliff caught him
-heathcliff hated hindley so much that he would have liked to have him to kill his own son by mistake
-if it had been dark he would have tried to remedy the mistake by smashing haretons skull on the steps
-he wished hindley would drink himself to death but that was unlikely to happen as he had a strong constitution
-what did cathy talk to nelly about? what did they both not know?
-what did nelly tell her? what did cathy respond?
-did nelly approve? what did cathy admit?
-nelly asked her if and why she loved edgar, cathy said hes rich and she wants to be the greatest women in the neighbothood and proud of her husband
-nelly disapproved, cathy admitted that she was sure she was wrong, she had a dream in which she went to heaven and was unhappy there because she missed wuthering heights , she would feel degrading to be with heathcliff even though they are so alike
-what did heathcliff do after hearing that?
-what did nelly tell cathy about heathcliff? what was cathy’s compromise?
-how did nelly bring down the compromise?
-what happened later that night?
-what happened the next morning?
-how did cathy return to wuthering heights?
-what happened when nelly said heathcliffs disappearance was cathys fault?
– that he would be deserted if she married linton , cathy said she had no intention of deserting him but would use her influence to raise him up
-saying that edgar wouldnt like that but than cathy said every linton could melt to nothing before she would forsake heathcliff
-no one knew where heathcliff was and cathy went in the storm looking for him and noticed he had run away.
-cathy felt sick than went to stay with the lintons and she got better , edgar and isabellas caught the fever from her and died
-more passionate, saucier,
-cathy stopped speaking to her, she married edgar three years after earnshaw’s death and ellen unwillingly went to live with her at the grange, leaving hareton to live with his wretched father and joseph
-What are Hareton’s feelings for his father?
-Why does Hindley dangle Hareton over the stair rail?
-Who saves Hareton?
-Why is Heathcliff angry with himself?
-Why does Catherine say she loves Edgar
-What fault does Nelly find with Catherine’s answer?
-What bothers Catherine about her decision to marry?
-What causes Heathcliff to run away
-How does Catherine become ill?
– Why must Nelly leave Hareton?
-Hindley is angered that Hareton will not respond to his attempts to soothe him.
-Heathcliff enters just as Hareton falls, and reflexively catches him.
– If Hareton had died, Hindley’s remorse would have killed him. By saving the baby, Heathcliff has lost the chance to enjoy Hindley’s destruction.
-Catherine loves Edgar because he is handsome, pleasant, young, rich, and adores her.
– Nelly says Edgar’s love has nothing to do with Catherine’s decisions; she is marrying him for his money and his looks.
– In her heart and soul, Catherine feels she is doing wrong.
-Heathcliff overhears Catherine’s admission that their souls are as one, and that she can only love him.
-Catherine catches a fever while searching for Heathcliff in the rain.
-When Catherine marries, she insists that Nelly accompany her. Edgar and Hindley both enforce Catherine’s wish.
-Why did catherine get along with her husband and isabella?
– what type of seasons with catherine have? what did edgar think of them?
– what happens when they had been married for almost a year?
– who saw him?
-how did he change?
– how did catherine and edgar respond?
-what did heathcliff stay for?
-seasons of gloom and silecne, edgar took these for the results of her serious illness
-heathcliff comes back
-nelly was outside that evening and heathcliff asked her to tell catherine someone wanted to see her
– tall, athletic, looked like army man, gentlemen manners , educated speech, eyes containted half civilized ferocity
– catherine was overjoyed and didnt understand why edgar didnt share her happiness
-tea, edgar was irritated, he was staying at wuthering heights, paying hindley generously but winning his host’s money at cards , catherine wouldn’t let heathcliff hurt her brother
-what happened in the following weeks?
– how did catherine tease isabella?
-isabella got angry at catherine for keeping heathcliff to herself and catherine warned her that heathcliff was a very bad person to fal in love with and that isbella was no match for him
– by telling heathcliff in her presence that isabella loved him, isabella tried to run away but catherine held her , isabella scratched catherine’s arm and managed to escape and heathcliff now alone with catherine expressed interest in marrying isabella for her money and to enrage edgar, he said he would beat isabella if they were married because of her mawkish waxen face
-Why is Lockwood so pleased when Heathcliff visits?
-What information about Heathcliff does Lockwood wish to know?
-What has Catherine’s life been like at the Grange?
-After how many years does Heathcliff return?
-How does Catherine react to his return?
– Why is Heathcliff living at Wuthering Heights?
– Who becomes infatuated with Heathcliff?
-Why does this cause Edgar distress?
-How does Catherine embarrass Isabella?
-Lockwood does not know how Heathcliff became educated or how he got his money.
– Life has been very pleasant. Catherine is fond of her husband and sister-in-law, both of whom indulge her every whim.
-Heathcliff has returned after three years.
– Catherine is overjoyed, and tells Edgar he must be friendly to Heathcliff for her sake.
– Since Hindley owes large gambling debts, he cannot refuse the generous rent Heathcliff is willing to pay him.
-Isabella Linton becomes strongly attracted to Heathcliff, despite the fact that he does little to hide his contempt for her.
-Knowing that Isabella is no match for her in Heathcliff’s affections, Catherine is more amused than jealous.
-Catherine tells Heathcliff how Isabella longs for him.
– Where did nelly visit and why?what did she see?what lesson did she see his father taught him?
– why did she run back home?
-she was going to go in but she saw heathcliff and became frightened
-what happened the next time heathcliff visited thrushcross grange?
– how did heathcliff defend himself?
– what did edgar say?
-he had a right to do what he pleased since catherine was married to someone else, he said you are allowed to torture me to death for your amusement but allow me to amuse myself a little in the same style
-nelly found edgar who came in while catherine was scolding heathcliff, edgar scolded catherine for talking to that blackguard which made her angry since she has been defending the lintons
-what did edgar order heathcliff to do?
– what did catherine and edgar mock?
– the humiliated and furioius edgar so he hit heathcliff and went out by the back door to get help, nelly warned heathcliff that he would be thrown out by the male servants if he stayed, si he chose to leave.
-what did Catherine express to nelly?
-what did edgar do when he came in? what did nelly reveal?
– demanded to know whether catherine would drop heathcliffs acquaintance , she held a temper tantrum, ending with a faked fit of frenzy.
– the fit was fake, catherine than ran to her room and refused to come out or eat for several days
-How long did catherine stay alone in her room and what happened after that?
– what became clear to ellen?
– what did catherine do after seeing herself in the mirror?
-what happened when edgar came in?
– that catherine was delirious and thought she was back in her room at wuthering heights
– she became frightened because she thought there was no mirror there, she opened the window and talked to heathcliff who was not there as though they were children again
– was concerned for catherine and angry at ellen for not telling him what was going on
-what did ellen go to do and than notice?
– what happened when ellen rushed back to the grange?
-what did ellen tell edgar?
-she found isabella had disappeared and a little boy told her he had seen the girl riding away with heathcliff
– she told him what happened hoping he would rescue his sister from her ill considered elopment but he coldy refused to do so
-What vision causes Nelly to rush to the Heights?
-What does she discover about Hareton?
-How does Catherine learn of Heathcliff’s attentions to Isabella?
-How does Catherine react?
-When does Edgar confront Heathcliff and order him to leave?
-Why does Edgar hit Heathcliff?
– What demand does Edgar make of Catherine?
-How does Catherine react to Edgar’s order?
-Why doesn’t Nelly take Catherine’s hysteria seriously?
-What news does Kenneth bring of Isabella?
-Under Heathcliff’s direction, Hareton’s education has been stopped, and instead he has learned to curse and hit.
-Nelly observes Heathcliff trying to kiss Isabella, and tells Catherine.
-Catherine accuses Heathcliff of insincerity.
– When Nelly tells him Heathcliff and Catherine have been quarreling, Edgar orders him to leave
-Heathcliff tells Edgar he is not worth striking. Catherine calls him a coward, so Edgar hits Heathcliff.
-Edgar demands Catherine choose between Heathcliff and himself
-Catherine tells Edgar to leave, locks herself in her room, and refuses to eat.
-Nelly believes Catherine is being manipulative.
-Isabella was seen running off with Heathcliff.
-what happens in the next two months?
-what happened when heathcliff and isabella returned?
-what did isabella think of wuthering heights?
– how did heathcliff treat isabella?
– what did hindley have? what did isabella think of it?
– they returned to wuthering heights, isabella wrote edgar an apology and a plea for forgiveness, to which he gave no reply. she later sent ellen a longer letter asking whether heathcliff were a demon or crazy and recounting her experiences
-dirty, uncivilized, unwelcoming, joseph was rude to her, hareton was disobediant, hindley was half-demeted wreck of a man, heathcliff treated her cruelly
-refused to let her sleep in his room, she had to stay in a tiny garret
– a pistol with a blade on it with which he dreamed of killing heathciff, isabella coveted it for the power it would have given her. she was miserable and regretted her marriage
-Who did ellen visit and why? what did she tell them?
-how did heathcliff respond?
-what did ellen urge heathcliff to do? how did he respond? isabella?
-now alone with ellen, what did heathcliff say?
– he said he would not leave her to edgars care and that she loved hum more than her husband, he said that if he had been in edgars place he would never have interfered with catherines friendships although he would kill the friend the moment catherine no longer cared about him
– to treat isabella better and he expressed his scorn and hatred for his wife in front of her , he said isabella knew what he was when she married him, she had seen him hanging her pet dog, isabella told ellen that she hated heathcliff and he ordered her upstairs so he could talk to ellen
– he told her that if she did not arrange an interview for him with catherine, he would force his was in armed and she agreed to give catherine a letter from him
– Is Catherine’s recuperation completed?
– What gives Edgar further hopes for her recovery?
– What does Isabella write to Edgar?
– How does Isabella now regard her husband?
– What impression does Isabella get of Hindley?
– Why does Hindley warn Isabella to lock her bedroom door?
– What does Nelly ask Edgar to do?
-How does Isabella appear when Nelly visits her?
-Why does Isabella tell Nelly she cannot return home?
-What requests does Heathcliff make of Nelly?
-Edgar is pleased that Catherine’s pregnancy will produce an heir, thus removing the threat of Heathcliff’s claim.
– Isabella tells Edgar she is married to Heathcliff and apologizes for having offended him.
– Isabella wonders if Heathcliff is insane or simply the devil.
– Isabella barely recognizes Hindley; he is terribly thin and extremely slovenly, although his eyes were “like a ghostly Catherine, with all their beauty annihilated.”
– Hindley tells Isabella when he is drunk at night, he may be tempted to shoot Heathcliff, and would not wish to hit her by mistake.
Nelly hopes Edgar will write Isabella a note which she can deliver, but he refuses.
– Isabella no longer appears to be a gentlewoman, and seems reduced to the level of slovenliness tolerated at the Heights.
-Isabella tells Nelly that Heathcliff is keeping her a virtual prisoner.
-Heathcliff wants information on Catherine’s condition; he wants Nelly to arrange a secret visit, or at least to deliver his letter to her.
-What happened the sunday after ellen’s visit to wuthering heights?
– how was catherine changed?
– who walked in?
– how was their reunion?
-by her sickness, she was beautiful in an unearthly way and her eyes appeared always to gaze beyond,
-ellen left the door open so heathclif walked in and catherine eagerly waited for him to find the right room
– it was bitter-sweet: glad to be reunited, catherine accused heathcliff of having killed her, and heathcliff warned her not to say such things when he would be tortured by them after her death , besides she had been at fault by abandoning him
-what did catherine ask of heathcliff?
-what did they do together and why did they stop?
-why didn’t heathcliff leave ?
– what did he decide?
-what happened when linton came in?
-they held eachother closely and wept until ellen warned them that linton was returning
– he wanted to but catherine insisted he stay since she was dying and would never see him again
-he consented to stay and ellen was glad to observe that catherine’s arms had fallen relaxed
-heathcliff handed him catherine’s body and told him to take care of her, he told nelly he would wait outside for news of catherine’s welfare and left
-What happened around midnight?
– what did the people think of the infant?
– who was edgar’s heir?
– how did catherine’s corpse look?
-catherine earnshaw died two hours later without recovering consciousness
-no one cared for the infant at first and ellen wished it had been a boy
-peaceful and beautiful and ellen decided that she had found heaven at last
-what happened when ellen went outside to tell heathcliff?
– how did ellen tell heathcliff that she had died?
-how did heathcliff respond?
-like a girl falling asleep
-he cursed catherine and begged her to haunt him so he would not be left in an abyss where he could not find her or live without his soul , he dashed his head against the tree and howled like a beast getting killed to death with knives and spears , ellen was appalled
-what happened on tuesday?
-what did ellen do?
-when was catherine buried?
-she noticed the change and enclosed both locks of hair together
-on friday in a green slope in a corner of the kirkyard where ellen said her husband now lies as well
1. What does Catherine do with Heathcliff’s letter?
2. What does Catherine accuse Heathcliff and Edgar of doing?
3. What about Heathcliff and Catherine’s embrace disturbs Nelly?
4. Why won’t Catherine let go of Heathcliff, even as Edgar approaches?
5. How does Edgar react when he sees Catherine in Heathcliff’s arms?
6. When does Catherine finally die?
7. How do Edgar and Heathcliff mourn Catherine?
8. What does Heathcliff pray for when Catherine dies?
9. Who is absent from her funeral?
10. Where is she buried?
2. She says they both have broken her heart, yet each of them pities himself, rather than her.
3. She feels that she is “not in the company of a creature of my own species.”
4. Aware that she is dying, she wants to hold him one last time.
5. Edgar is furious, but Heathcliff hands her to him and tells him to take care of her first.
6. Around two o’clock in the morning, two hours after giving birth to her daughter, Cathy, Catherine dies.
7. Edgar holds vigil by Catherine’s coffin while Heathcliff mourns down below in the garden.
8. Heathcliff wants Catherine’s soul to know no rest until he can join her in death; until then, he begs her to haunt him, for he “can’t be without his soul.”
9. Neither Hindley nor Isabella attend the funeral.
10. Catherine is buried on a grassy hill near the moors.
-what happened when ellen was rocking baby catherine?
-what did isabella say?
– Why didn’t isabella like the plan?
– the evening before, isabella sat reading while hindley drank, when they heard heathcliff retuning from his watch over catherines grave, hindley warned isabella of his plan to lock heathcliff out and try to kill him with his bladed pistol if he came in
– she would have liked heathcliff to die but refused to help so when heathcliff knocked she refused to let him and told him to back to the grave and die because the world is not worth living in
-what did hindley go to do?
-what happened the next morning?
– how did heathcliff respond?
-what did isabella continue to say?
-how did heathcliff respond?
– he was so miserable he could hardly retaliate
– said that if catherine had married him he would have beaten her the way he beat hindley
– he threw a knife at isabella and she fled knocking down hareton who was hanging a little of puppies from a chairback in the doorway, she than ran to the grange
-where did isabella go?
– how was edgar feeling?
-what happened to hindley?
– how did ellen respond?
– what happened if edgar insisted on taking hareton?
– he accepted catherines death and loved his daughter who he called cathy,
– he died drunk six months after catherine, he was 27, catherine was 19, heathcliff was 20, edgar was 21
-grieved, they were the same age and were brought up together, she made sure he was decently buried, she wanted to take hareton back to the grange but heathcliff said he would keep him, to degrade him as much as he himself had been degraded by hindley
– heathcliff threatened to claim his own son linton, so ellen gave the idea up.
1. Why has Isabella returned to the Grange?
2. What plan did Hindley have for Heathcliff after the funeral?
3. Why does Isabella warn Heathcliff of Hindley’s trap?
4. What prevents Heathcliff from beating Hindley to death?
5. How does Isabella finally get away from Heathcliff?
6. How does Nelly’s response to Isabella’s criticisms of Heathcliff show that her feelings toward him have mellowed?
7. Who has helped Edgar overcome his grief at losing his wife?
8. Where does Isabella go after her escape?
9. How does Hindley dies?
10. Why does Edgar decide not to fight Heathcliff regarding Hareton’s custody?
2. Hindley schemes to free Isabella and himself from their misery by either shooting or stabbing Heathcliff to death.
3. Although she never says why directly, Isabella had earlier rejected using vengeance and treachery to free herself.
4. Joseph warns Heathcliff that he has gone too far, and he will summon the magistrate (Edgar) if Heathcliff doesn’t stop.
5. Isabella goads Heathcliff to tears by mentioning Catherine’s name. When she laughs at him, he throws a knife at her. Throwing it back, he lunges for her, but Hindley blocks him, and she escapes.
6. Nelly takes Isabella to task for her uncharitable remarks, rather than agreeing with them. This shows Catherine’s death has altered her ill feelings for Heathcliff.
7. Edgar’s baby daughter, Cathy, has completely won his heart.
8. Isabella moves near London, where she gives birth to Heathcliff’s son, Linton, and dies twelve years later.
9. At the age of twenty-seven, Hindley dies of alcoholism.
10. He fears Heathcliff’s threat to take Linton away from Isabella if Edgar takes Hareton to the Grange.
-what happened in the next 12 years?
– where did cathy’s father keep her?
– park of the grange, cathy dreamed of going to see cliffs, penistone craggs, which were located not to far away on the moor
-what happened when isabella fell ill?
– one day cathy asked ellen to?
– give her some food for a ramble around the grounds, she was pretending to be an arabian merchant going across the desert with her caravan of a pony and three dogs, she left the grounds and later ellen went after her on the road to penistone craggs which passed wuthering heights
– where did ellen find her?
-what happened when ellen arrived?
– what did the housekeeper tell cathy?
-what did hareton offer her?
-what did ellen tell cathy?
– cathy offended hareton by asking whether he was the masters son and when he wasnt, deciding that he must be a servant
– that hareton was her cousin which made her cry
– a puppy to console her which she refused.
– that her father didnt want her to go to wuthering heights and asked her not to tel edgar about the incident which cathy agreed
– who died?
-who did edgar return home with?
– how did cathy react?
-who came that evening?
-what did ellen tell them?
-what did edgar wish?
-his half orphaned nephew linton, a pale delicate effeminate boy
-she was excited to see her cousin and babied him when she saw he was sickly and childish
-joseph to demand the child on heathcliffs behalf, linton was heathcliffs son.
– that edgar was asleep but joseph went into edgars room and insisted on taking linton
-to keep linton at the grange but could not legally claim him so he could only put it off until the next morning
1. Why does Cathy want to visit Pennistone Crag?
2. Where does Nelly locate Cathy?
3. How did Cathy and Hareton meet?
4. For whom does Cathy mistake Hareton?
5. Why doesn’t Cathy believe Hareton is her cousin?
6. What are some of Nelly’s observations regarding Hareton?
7. How has Joseph treated Hareton?
8. How do the villagers speak of Heathcliff?
9. How does Linton arrive at the Grange?
10. Why does Edgar agree to let Linton go to his father the following morning?
2. Nelly finds Cathy sitting in the kitchen at the Heights.
3. As Cathy rode past the Heights, one of the dogs began fighting with Cathy’s dog. Hareton came out to help, and agreed to escort Cathy to the Crag.
4. At first, Cathy assumes Hareton is the master’s son, but then decides he must be a servant.
5. Cathy is unaware of Hareton’s existence. The only cousin she knows of is Linton.
6. Nelly sees a good-looking, athletic eighteen-year-old dressed in farmer’s clothes. She senses he is innately intelligent, and laments that Heathcliff has left him unschooled.
7. Joseph has not interfered with Heathcliff’s neglect of the boy, but has instilled in him a pride in his name and background.
8. The villagers say Heathcliff is a cruel, hard landlord to his tenants, but that at least his unsociable behavior keeps the house free of the debauchery Hindley had caused.
9. Arriving in Edgar’s coach, Linton is wrapped in a warm cloak, as if it was winter, and sleeps with fatigue from the trip.
10. As much as he regrets it, Edgar has no choice; Heathcliff insists, and he is within his rights.
-what happened the next morning?
– how did linton react?
– what happened when they arrived?
– what did ellen as of heathcliff?
– what happened when linton refused to eat the homely oatmeal joseph offered him?
– what happened when ellen left?
-he was surprised to hear he had a father since isabella never spoke of heathcliff
– heathcliff told linton that his mother was a slut because she did not tel linton about his father
-to be nice to the boy and he said he would have him carefuly tened because linton was heir to the grange so he wanted him to live at least until edgar ws dead and he inherited
– heathcliff ordered his son be given tea and boiled milk instead.
– linton begged her not to leave him there
-How did cathy feel of linton leaving?
-how did linton grow up to be?
-what happened on cathy’s 16 birthday?
– how did cathy respond?
-what did heathcliff request?
-what did linton mock?
-selish, disagreeable, complaining about his health
-she and ellen went out on the moors and strayed onto heathclifs land where he found them. he invited them to come to wuthering heights telling ellen that he wanted linton and cathy to marry so he would be sure of inheriting the grange
– she was glad to see her cousin but somewhat taken back by his invalidish behavior
– that hareton show cathy around the farm, he was shy of her and she teased him unkindly
– hareton’s lack of education in front of cathy, showng himsef to be mean spirited
– what happened when cathy told her father where she had been?
– what did edgar tell her?
-how did cathy respond?
– what did ellen think of the letters?
-of heathcliffs wickedness and forbade her to return to wuthering heights
– she was unhappy and began a secret correspondence with linton, when ellen discovered it, they were writing love letters
– that heathcliff affected some of the one’s linton wrote, ellen confronted cathy and burned the letters, threatening to tell her father if cathy continued to write to linton
1. Why does Nelly feel sorry for Linton when he leaves his uncle’s house?
2. How do Joseph and Heathcliff react when they meet Linton?
3. What does Linton say to Nelly when she leaves?
4. How do Hareton and Linton get along?
5. What plan does Heathcliff have for Linton and Cathy?
6. Why does Cathy leave Wuthering Heights upset with Edgar?
7. How does Heathcliff embarrass Hareton?
8. How do Linton and Cathy develop their relationship?
9. What are Cathy’s feeling for Linton?
10. How does Nelly put a stop to their correspondence.
2. They ridicule him. Joseph says he looks more like a girl than a boy, and Heathcliff says he appears to have been “reared on snails and sour milk.”
3. Linton begs Nelly not to leave him at the Heights.
4. Whenever Hareton attempts to be friendly, Linton cries and exasperates him. Linton learns to scorn Hareton for his lack of gentility, and enjoys mocking him.
5. He wants them to marry. Aware that Linton is not expected to live long, Heathcliff can secure ownership of Cathy’s inheritance if she is Linton’s wife.
6. Heathcliff has led Cathy to believe that Edgar began the feud between them.
7. Heathcliff asks Cathy in Hareton’s presence if she finds him attractive.
8. They initiate a secret correspondence, using the local milk delivery boy as their messenger.
9. She believes she is in love with him, although Nelly points out they have spent less than four hours in each others presence.
10. She threatens to tell Edgar, unless Cathy allows her to burn Linton’s letters. Then she sends Linton a note telling him to stop writing.
-what happened that fall? to edgar? to cathy?
-what happened when cathy took a walk?
-what did ellen tell her?
-what did cathy decide ?
-she ended up stranded outside of the wall of the park when heathcliff rode by, he told her that linton was dying of a broken heart and that if she were kind, she would visit him
– heathcliff was probably lying and couldnt be trusted
-she persuaded ellen to accompany her on a visit to wuthering heights
-what did cathy and ellen hear at wuthering heights?
– what did cathy tell linton? how did he react?
-what did catherine do?
-what did linton do?
-her father told her that isabella had not loved heathcliff , linton became angry and answered that catherine’s mother had loved heathcliff and not edgar
– she pushed his chair and he coughed for a long time and she was sorry
-he took advantage of her regret and bullied her like a true hypochondriac, making her promise to return the next day to nurse him
-what happened when cathy and ellen were on their way home?
-what did cathy think?
-what happened to ellen? what did cathy do?
-she was not sure he would die and was more friendly towards him
-she caught a cold and was confined to her room, cathy spent almost all her time taking care of ellen and edgar but was free in the evenings, which she would use this time to visit linton.
1. Who does Cathy say she loves more than herself?
2. How does Cathy become Heathcliff’s momentary captive audience?
3. Why does Heathcliff say Linton is dying?
4. Why does Nelly grudgingly permit Cathy to check on Linton?
5. About what do Cathy and Linton quarrel?
6. What makes Cathy feel guilty about the quarrel?
7. Why does Cathy feel compelled to return the next day?
8. Why is Edgar unaware of Cathy’s visit to Linton?
9. How long does Nelly remain ill?
10. During that time, what has Cathy been doing?
2. Cathy is temporarily stuck behind the locked door of a stone wall on the estate grounds. While Nelly tries to smash the lock, Cathy has no choice but to hear what Heathcliff has to say.
3. Heathcliff claims that grief and disappointment in Cathy’s abandonment have made Linton deathly ill.
4. Nelly is confident that Cathy will find out that Heathcliff has been lying.
5. They call each other’s father’s liars, and Linton says Catherine hated Edgar and loved Heathcliff.
6. Angered, Cathy pushes Linton, who coughs alarmingly and calls her a “cruel, spiteful thing.” Seeing him moaning in pain, she is moved to cry from guilt.
7. Cathy feels Linton would get better more quickly if she were looking after him.
8. Edgar assumed Cathy and Nelly had been out wandering in the park.
9. Nelly is bedridden for three weeks.
10. In between caring for Nelly and her father, Cathy has been slipping away to visit Linton.
-what happened three weeks later?
– what did cathy say happened?
-what happened on her second visit?
– she bribed a servant with her books to take care of saddling her pony and keep her escapades secret
-she and linton had an argument about the best way of spending a summer afternoon, linton wanted to lie in the heather and dream it away and cathy wanted to rock in a treetop among the birds , he wanted to lie in an ecstasy of peace, i wanted to sparkle, dance in glorious jubilee. , they made up and played ball until linton became unhappy because he always lost but as usual, cathy consoled him for that
– what happened on her next visit?
-what happened when she was reading to linton?
-what did joseph point out?
-what happened to linton?
– hareton came in angrily and ordered them into the kitchen, shut out of his favorite room, linton staged a tantrum and said he would kill hareton
-he was showing his father’s character
-he caughed blood and fainted
-what did cathy do?
– what happened on the third day?
-what did linton say?
-linton refused to speak to her except to blame her for the events and she left resolving not to return , she did return and took linton to task for being so rude , he admitted he was worthless but said she was much happier than he and should make allowances, heathcliff hated him and he was very unhappy at wuthering heights but he loved cathy
-how did cathy respond?
-what did ellen tell edgar?
– about the visits, he forbade cathy to return to wuthering heights, but wrote to linton that he could come to the grange if he liked
1. What makes Nelly suspicious about Cathy’s behavior?
2. Who has been assisting Cathy in getting to the Heights?
3. How does Nelly react to Cathy’s lie?
4. Who helps make Cathy’s visits to Linton pleasant?
5. What different visions of heaven do Cathy and Linton have?
6. Why does Cathy call Hareton a “dunce”?
7. Of what does Nelly accuse Cathy?
8. Of whom does Linton remind Joseph, watching him pound at the door and scream?
9. What causes Cathy to forgive Linton?
10. What does Edgar consent to do for Linton?
2. Michael, the stable boy, has been assisting her, but Cathy admits she deceived him and asks that he not be reprimanded.
3. Nelly says she would rather be sick for another three months than to hear Cathy tell a lie.
4. Zillah is good-natured toward Cathy, providing refreshment and help when she visits.
5. Linton wants to lie in “an ecstasy of peace,” while Cathy wants “all to sparkle, and dance in glorious jubilee.”
6. Hareton has not yet learned his figures and has only just learned to spell his own name.
7. Hearing that Cathy laughed at Hareton, Nelly accuses her of very bad manners.
8. Joseph laughs and says, “Thear that’s t’ father!”
9. Linton apologizes, blaming his own unworthiness, and saying he loves her for her gentle goodness.
10. Edgar consents to write Linton a letter saying that while Cathy cannot return to the Heights, he is welcome to visit her at the Grange.
-what does ellen point out to lockwood?
– what did edgar ask ellen?
-what did edgar admit?
-what happened as spring advanced?
-what linton was like and she told him that he ws delicate and had little of his father in him , cathy would probably be able to control him if they were married
-he was worried what would happen to cathy if he were to die,
-edgar resumed his walks, but cathy took his flushed cheeks and bright eyes for health, ellen was not so sure
-What did edgar write to linton?
– why could edgar not consent?
-how did linton write?
-what did edgar want?
-he could not walk very far but the two began a correspondence
-well, without complaning about his health since healthcliff edited his letters and edgar agreed to cathy’s going to meet linton on the moors with ellen’s supervision
-for cathy to marry linton so she would not have to leave the grange when he died, but he would not have wished it if he knew that linton was dying as fast as he was
-what happened when ellen and cathy rode to meet linton?
– how was linton?
-what did linton do?
– what did cathy respond?
– what happened to linton?
– he had a hard time making conversation with cathy and was not enjoying their talk so she decided to leave
-he looked anxiously towards wuthering heights and begged her to stay longer and to tell her father that he was in tolerable health
-she agreed and linton soon fell into a slumber
-he woke suddenly and seemed to be terrified that his father might come, cathy and ellen returned home
1. What surprises Nelly about the passage of time?
2. How does Nelly know Lockwood has fallen in love with Cathy?
3. Does Nelly believe that Linton will soon die?
4. What is unusual about Cathy’s seventeenth birthday?
5. How does Cathy mistake her father’s condition?
6. Of what does Linton wish to convince Edgar?
7. What shocks Cathy and Nelly when they meet Linton in the moor?
8. Why can we assume Linton insists on Cathy waiting half an hour?
9. What excuses for his poor condition does Linton ask Cathy to give her father?
10. Why can we assume Linton wants Cathy to misrepresent his condition to Edgar?
2. Nelly believes that to see Cathy is to love her; Lockwood has also requested that her portrait be hung in his room.
3. Nelly thinks Linton’s death is several years off.
4. Edgar puts off his customary visit to Catherine’s grave.
5. Cathy believes her father’s flushed cheeks and bright eyes are a sign of his convalescence.
6. Linton wants Edgar to see that he resembles Edgar more than Heathcliff.
7. Linton is so pale and feeble that he can barely stand.
8. It can be assumed by Linton’s nervousness, and his glancing back toward the Heights, that Heathcliff is planning to join them.
9. Linton wants her to attribute his lethargy to the heat and unaccustomed exercise.
10. Linton fears that if Edgar knows how ill he is, he won’t let Cathy marry him, angering Heathcliff.
-what happens a week later?
– how did linton recieve them? what did cathy think of that?
-with greater animation of fear, cathy was angry that she had to leave her father and she was disgusted by linton’s abject admissions of terror of his father
-what did heathcliff ask?
– what did heathcliff order?
– how did cathy respond?
– linton to get up and bring cathy into the house which he did against cathy’s will, heathcliff pushed ellen into the house as well and locked the door behind them
-she protested that she must get home to her father, heathcliff slapped her and made it clear that she wouldn’t leave wuthering heights until she married linton
-how did linton show his true character?
-what did cathy and heathcliff declare?
-where was ellen?
-their mutual hatred
-imprisoned separately from cathy for five days with hareton as her jailer . he gave her food but refused to speak to her beyond what was necessary,
1. Whom does Edgar believe Linton takes after?
2. Of what does Cathy accuse Linton when she comes to meet him?
3. What reason does Linton give for wanting her to stay?
4. Why is Heathcliff interested in learning how long Edgar is expected to live?
5. What directions have Heathcliff given Linton about how to behave with Cathy?
6. How does Nelly respond when Heathcliff asks her to take Linton inside?
7. How does Heathcliff induce Cathy and Nelly to enter the house?
8. What does Heathcliff say he would do to Linton and Cathy, if he lived in a less civilized country?
9. Why do the servants at the Grange search for Cathy and Nelly?
10. Who brings Nelly food while she is imprisoned?
2. Cathy accuses Linton of wasting her time, which could be better spent with her father, especially since he doesn’t seem particularly pleased to see her.
3. Linton says that Heathcliff has threatened him if he cannot succeed in keeping Cathy there this time, and he is in terror of his temper.
4. Heathcliff is unsure of Linton’s life expectancy, and wants to make certain Edgar dies before him.
5. Heathcliff has told Linton not to “snivel,” and to be lively instead.
6. Nelly tells Heathcliff his son is not her business, and she dare not leave Cathy alone with him.
7. He prevails on Cathy to lead Linton inside to a chair, and while Nelly waits for her on the threshold, Heathcliff pushes her inside, shuts and locks the door.
8. He would treat himself to “a slow vivisection of those two, as an evening’s entertainment.”
9. Their horses have returned riderless, and they could not be found anywhere on the Grange estate.
10. Hareton brings her food, but refuses to give her any information.
– what happens on the fifth afternoon of the captivity?
– what did ellen ask linton?
– where catherine was, he answered she was shut upstairs, that they were married, and he was glad she was being treated harshly , he resented that she hadn’t wished to marry him, he was annoyed by her crying and was glad when heathcliff struck her as punishment
-What did ellen rebuke linton for?
-what was edgar glad to hear?
-what did edgar do when he heard the plot of heathcliff to take control of his estate?
-what did heathcliff do?
-what did the men sent to wuthering heights to rescue cathy do?
-that his daughter was safe and would be home soon, he was almost dead at the age of 39
– edgar sent mr. green the local attorney to change his will so that his money would be held in a trust for cathy
-bought off mr.green and the lawyer did not arrive until it was to late to change the will
-return without her having believed heathcliffs tale that she was to sick to travel
-what happened the next morning?
-what did ellen tell cathy to do?
-what happened to edgar?
-how did cathy react?
-what happened to mr. green?
-she convinced linton to help her sscape
-ellen asked her to tell edgar that she would be content with linton so that he could die happy which she agreed
-he died blissfully
-catherine was stony-eyed with grief
– now employed by heathcliff, gave all the servants but ellen notice to quit and hurried the funeral
– why did heathcliff come to the grange?
-what happened when ellen begged heathcliff to aloow cathy and linton to live at the grange?
-why did catherine agree to go?
– heathcliff explained he wanted to get a tenant for the estate
-because linton was all she had to love and explained that she pitied heathcliff because no one loved him
– what did heathcliff do the night before which he was telling ellen?
– how did ellen respond?
– what does heathcliff tell ellen of the night he beat up hindley?
-she was shocked and scolded him for disturbing the dead , he replied that on the contrary, she had haunted him night and day for 18 years
– he had hone to the kirkyard after catherine’s burial and dug up the cofin to have her in his arms again, but while he was wrenching at the screws he felt sure of her living prescence and was consoled but torturted as well , from that night for 18 years he constantly felt as though he could almost see her
-what did heathclif try to do regarding catherine?
1. What does Zillah believe has happened to Nelly?
2. Why does Nelly tell Linton she is shedding tears?
3. How does Linton stand to see Heathcliff strike Cathy?
4. How does Edgar plan to alter his will?
5. After the four men return without Cathy, what does Nelly resolve to do?
6. Why was the lawyer late in responding to Nelly’s summons?
7. Why does Heathcliff believe Cathy will learn to hate Linton?
8. What happened the night of Catherine’s funeral?
9. What has been killing Heathcliff slowly, over the years?
10. Why can’t Cathy bring her pony to the Heights?
2. Nelly is grieved that Linton is ignoring Cathy’s misery, after all of her kindness and attention to him.
3. He winks; he does so whenever Heathcliff exhibits physical cruelty.
4. Instead of leaving his money to Cathy, Edgar will put it in trust for her to use for herself or any future children.
5. Nelly resolves to return at dawn with an army of men, if need be.
6. The lawyer is now in Heathcliff’s employ, and Heathcliff had ordered him to delay his arrival until Edgar’s death.
7. Heathcliff says he won’t have to try to make her hate Linton; his own “sweet spirit” will make him hateful to her.
8. Heathcliff dug up her grave, determined to warm her in his arms. He senses the breath of a living being, even though he is alone, and realizes that Catherine’s spirit is with him.
9. He dreams constantly that Catherine is with him, but when he opens his eyes, she is gone. Frustrated in his hope of seeing her has slowly brought him close to death.
10. Heathcliff tells Cathy that the only journeys she will be taking from now on will be on foot.
-what happened when cathy came out after spending all her time in Linton’s room?
-what did heathcliff reply?
-what was catherine left with ?
-how did catherine become?
– what happened to linton?
– who felt sorry for her?
– they know that but his life is not worth a farthing
-to care for her dying cousin by herself because zillah, hareton, and joseph would not help her
– haggard and bewildered from lack of sleep
– he died and when heathcliff asked cathy how she felt she said hes safe and im free, i should feel very well but you have left me so long to struggle against death alone that i feel and see only death i feel like death
-what happened to cathy? what did heathcliff tell her ?
-what happened one day when heathcliff was out?
-what did hareton ask zillah to do?
-why did cathy refuse?
-what did hareton say he asked heathcliff to do?
-cathy came downstairs and hareton made shy, friendly advances which she rejected
– to ask cathy to read for them because he was illiterate but wanted to learn
-she had been forsaken during linton’s illness and had no reason to care for hareton or zillah
– to be allowed to relieve her of some of her duties but was denied
-what was cathy feeling?
-how does zillah describe cathy?
-what did elen want?
– she’ll snap at the master himself and the more hurt she gets, the more venemous she grows
– to get a cottage and live there withy cathy but heathcliff would not permit. ellen now believes that the only way cathy can escape wuthering heights is to marry a second time
-why does lockwood go to wuthering heights?
-what does he notice of hareton?
-what does he give cathy?
-he is handsome, rustic
– a note from ellen, cathy thinks its from lockwood and rejects it but than lockwood tells her it isnt and than hareton snatches it away saying that heathcliff should look at it first
-what does cathy try to hide?
-what happens when she reads it?
-what does catherine mock hareton for?
– what does hareton do?
– expresses her longing for freedom, telling lockwood that she cant even write ellen back because heathcliff has destroyed her books, hareton has all the other books and he has been trying to learn to read
-his clumsy attempts at self-education
-gets the books and throws them into her lap saying he doesnt want to think about them any longer , she keeps mocking him reading aloud in the tone of a beginner, hareton slaps her and throws the books into the fire
-what does heathcliff confide to lockwood?
– what does heathcliff invite lockwood to?
-what does lockwood do in dinner?
-dinner and informs cathy that she can eat with joseph in the kitchen
-he eats the cheerless meal and leaves, contemplating the possibility of his courting cathy and bringing her into the atmosphere of the town
1. Why is Zillah so unfriendly towards Cathy?
2. Who aides Cathy in nursing Linton?
3. How does Hareton react to Linton’s death?
4. Why does Zillah remain behind when Heathcliff is gone and Joseph is at church?
5. What does Hareton do while Cathy sits reading by the fire?
6. Why is Cathy forced to sit in the kitchen with Hareton and Zillah?
7. What decision does Lockwood make concerning the Grange?
8. Why can Cathy not answer Nelly’s letter?
9. How does Lockwood try to spare Hareton’s feelings?
10. How does Heathcliff react to the news of Lockwood’s departure?
2. She is told that nursing Linton is her job, so no one helps Cathy, even when she appears confused and overwhelmed.
3. Hareton is more concerned with staring at Cathy than thinking about Linton.
4. Zillah realizes that Hareton is attracted to Cathy, and feels it proper that the two young people not be left alone.
5. Hareton becomes entranced by the curl of hair brushing Cathy’s cheek, and attempts to stroke it.
6. Her bedroom is unheated. Since it is the dead of winter, Cathy finds the cold unbearable and sits in the kitchen to get warm.
7. Lockwood decides he has had enough of Yorkshire winters, and will return to London for the next six months.
8. Cathy has no paper on which to write, not even a book she could tear a page from.
9. Lockwood praises Hareton’s efforts at learning to read, and soothingly reminds him that every beginner stumbles at first.
10. Heathcliff assumes Lockwood is tired of living in a desolate area, but warns him that he will not refund him any rent.
-what happens in the fall of 1802?
– how does he find the grange?
-what changes does he see? what does he overhear?
-why does lockwood go around to the kitchen?what does he find?
-more empty, ellen is now at wuthering heights and an old women replaced her , he visits wuthering heights to see what has changed, he notices flowers growing around the old farm ouse and overhears a pleasent lesson from indoors
– cathy sounding sweet teaching hareton who is respectably dressed how to read
-he doesnt want to disturb the lesson, he finds ellen singing and joseph complaining as usual
-What is ellen’s reaction to lockwood?
-what does ellen tell lockwood?
-what happened one day when cathy, ellen, and hareton were sitting in the kitchen?
– how was hareton injured?
-what did joseph think of their friendship?
-in a shooting accident in march and since heathcliff didnt like to see him, he spent a lot of time sitting in the kitchen where cathy found many reasons to go. they became loving friends which joseph was annoyed of
– where did ellen find catherine the next morning?
– what did ellen warn them of? who was to take blame?
-what happened at tea?
-who admitted the fault?
-they would be punished for destroying the bushes but hareton promised to take the blame
-cathy was careful not to talk to hareton to much but she put flowers in his porridge which made him laugh and heathcliff angry
-heathcliff assumed cathy laughed but hareton addmited the fault
-what did joseph come in saying? who took fault?
-what did heathcliff call cathy?
-what did heathcliff command hareton to do?
– what did heathcliff than do?
-a slut and cathy accused him of stealing her land and haretons
-throw her out and he tried to persuade cathy to leave
-what did hareton ask catherine of? what did cathy respind?
-what was ellens reaction?
-she was glad to see her two children happy together
-what did heathcliff do when he saw cathy and hareton together?
-what did he feel of hareton?
-what did he tell nelly?
-what did nelly wonder?
-that he felt a change coming, that he could no longer exist in the living world when he felt so close to the dead
-whether he was ill but decided that he was in fine heath and mind except for his monomania for catherine earnshaw
1. How long has Lockwood been away from Yorkshire?
2. What is different about Hareton’s appearance?
3. About what do Nelly and Joseph argue?
4. Why did Heathcliff remove Nelly from the Grange?
5. How does Cathy tempt Hareton into accepting her book?
6. In what manner does Cathy finally win Hareton over?
7. Why does Nelly advise Cathy to be discrete about Hareton?
8. Why is Joseph angry at Hareton?
9. What does Hareton tell Cathy regarding Heathcliff?
10. What change in himself does Heathcliff sense?
2. Hareton is respectably dressed and apparently very happy.
3. Joseph finds Nelly’s singing sinful; he is also bothered by Hareton’s transformation.
4. Heathcliff wants her to live in the Heights in order to keep Cathy away from his sight.
5. Cathy reads out loud in Hareton’s presence, stopping at an interesting part, and leaving the open book lying about.
6. Cathy gives Hareton a kiss, despite Nelly’s disapproving look, and then presents him with a gift-wrapped book.
7. Nelly knows the budding romance will annoy him greatly.
8. Joseph is angry that Hareton has obeyed Cathy’s wishes to dig up his currant trees and plant flowers instead.
9. Hareton would rather Cathy speak against him than Heathcliff.
10. Heathcliff senses his life has lost its purpose. Catherine was the only person who meant anything to him, and his revenge has not been as satisfying as he had imagined.
-what happened to heathcliff the next few days?
-what would catherine do?
-what did ellen urge heathcliff to do?
-what did hareton do?
-when did heathcliff come back?
-what happened when ellen asked him what was going on?
-happily work on her garden, she came across him and was surprised to see him looking excited
-eat, at dinner he took a heaping plate but lost interest in food and seemed to be watching something by the window and went outside
-followed him to see what was wrong and heathcliff told him to go back to catherine and not bother him
-an hour or two later with the same unnatural appeareance of joy
-he answered he was within sign of heaven 3 feet away, his heaven was being buried alongside catherine earnshaw
-where did ellen find heathcliff later that evening?
– how was he the next day?
-what did he decide?
-what did ellen say he should do, he responded?
-ellen told him to repent?
-restless, hardly speak, stared at fascination at nothing
– he wanted to settle things with mr green
-eat and get sleep, he said he could do neither
-to repent his sins and he thanked her for the reminder and asked her to make sure he was buried next to catherine
– how did heathcliff behave more strangely?
-what did ellen do?
-what did ellen find the next morning?
-how did hareton react? what did the doctor wonder?what did ellen know?
-call the doctor but heathcliff refused to see him
– heathcliff dead in his room by the open window wet from the rain and cutby the broken window pane with his eyes open and wearing a smile
-mourned, what could have killed him, his depression killed him
-where was he buried?
-what do people claim?
-what did ellen once come across?
-what happened to cathy and hareton?
-what does lockwood notice on his walk home? what did he wonder?
-his ghost roams the moors with catherine
-a little boy crying because he thought he said heathcliffs ghost with a women and dared not pass them
-engaged, plan to move to grange, leaving wuthering heights to joseph
-church was falling apart from neglect and he found the three headtones, catherine edgar and heathcliff, covered by heather, he wondered how anyone could imagine unquiet slumbers for sleepers in that quiet earth
1. What time of year does Heathcliff’s death take place?
2. What perplexes Cathy about Heathcliff’s behavior?
3. For how many days does Heathcliff bewilder everyone?
4. How does Heathcliff respond to Nelly’s asking him why he is behaving so oddly?
5. Why does Nelly decide she is being foolish to wonder if Heathcliff is a ghoul or a vampire?
6. About what do Joseph and Heathcliff converse?
7. To what does Nelly attribute Heathcliff’s unseen vision?
8. What does Heathcliff say he wishes he could do with his property?
9. What has Heathcliff died from?
10. How does Lockwood bid Nelly goodbye?
2. Although Heathcliff still tells Nelly to get out of his sight, he looks so excited and happy she hardly recognizes him.
3. Heathcliff has been behaving “queerly” for three days.
4. Heathcliff tells Nelly that the previous night he was on the “threshold of hell,” but today, he is in “sight of my heaven.”
5. Nelly has tended Heathcliff since infancy, and has known him well through most of his life.
6. Heathcliff discusses some farming business with Joseph, but speaks rapidly and continually turns his head from side to side.
7. Heathcliff has not eaten for days, and Nelly attributes his hallucinations to this.
8. Heathcliff wishes he could “annihilate it from the face of the earth.”
9. Mr. Kenneth does not know what illness caused his death; Nelly believes his not having eaten was a symptom of the illness, not a cause of his death.
10. Lockwood presses some money into Nelly’s hand, disregarding her protests, and walks back to Thrushcross Grange.