Thinking and Language AP Psychology

question

Framing
answer

the way in which a problem or issue is phrased or worded.
question

Morphemes
answer

the smallest speech units that carry meaning
question

represenativeness heuristic
answer

people judge how well something matches a particular prototype
question

morpheme
answer

the word “chased” is an
question

heuristic
answer

you would use this type of thinking to save time, problem-solving shortcuts
question

mental set
answer

tendency to approach a problem in a way that has been successful in the past
question

confirmation bias
answer

the tendency to search for info that supports their existing beliefs
question

phoneme
answer

smallest distinctive unit of a sound
question

Prototype
answer

PPI take less time to say a cow is a mammal than a rat. Cow closely resembles their_______
question

algorithm
answer

methodical step-by-step procedure for solving problems
question

Framing effect
answer

raffle says you have a 5% chance to win and you buy it. Says 95% of losing and you don’t
question

an inborn readiness
answer

Noam Chomsky has emphasized that the acquisition of language by children is facilitated by this
question

functional fixdnese
answer

tendency to think of objects only in terms of their normal uses is called
question

confirmation bias
answer

asked to research capital punishment. Alex just searches for evidence that supports his opinion
question

thinking
answer

cognitive psychologist are most directly concerned with the study of
question

Biological predisposition
answer

Noam Chomsky argues that children’s readiness to learn language is an
question

prototype
answer

best example of a category of objects, events, or people is called an
question

syntax
answer

“can you please a ride to the airport me give?” This person has not yet mastered.
question

availability heuristic
answer

we judge the likelihood of something occurring in terms of how fast it comes to mind this is
question

semantics
answer

rules by which we derive meaning from morphemes, words and sentences.
question

algorithm
answer

trying each key on a key ring until the door opened is an example of
question

insight
answer

when you suddenly realize a problem’s solution this is called
question

belief perseverence
answer

requires more convincing evidence for us to change the concept
question

babbling
answer

first stage of language development
question

7
answer

what age does the window begin to close on learning language
question

4
answer

chimps have the ability to reason at what age level
question

linguistic determination
answer

according to what hypothesis does language shape our thinking
question

theory of mind
answer

basic understanding of mental state, thinking is
question

skinner
answer

what psychologist believed that we learn language thru operant conditioning
question

telegraphic
answer

what is another term for the two-word speech phrase
question

critical period
answer

what do we call the vital time for learning language
question

trial and error
answer

finding a problem solution by trying each possibility
question

over confidence
answer

the tendency of people to over estimate the accuracy of their knowledge results in
question

artificial intelligence
answer

the science involving the development of computers and programs that mimic human thinking
question

phonemes
answer

the basic units of language
question

linguistic determinism/whorf
answer

language shapes our thinking (&who)

Get instant access to
all materials

Become a Member