What are the ExactTarget Marketing Cloud Apps?
Channel Apps: Email
Marketing Cloud Tools: Campaigns, Reports
Marketing Cloud Apps: Automation Studio
HubExchange – HubExchange Marketplace
What is “All Subscribers?”
– Master list/database of all subscribers that have been sent an email.
– Keeps the status of the subscriber
– There is one All Subscribers per account
A subscriber can be active on the All Subscribers list, but still be unsubscribed on lists and groups, e.g., after unsubscribing and resubscribing.
What is a data extension?
A table within the Marketing Cloud that contains your data, like a spreadsheet.
Build your data structures inside MC.
What type of data can an extension store?
What is a subscriber?
a person who has opted-in to receive communications from your organization.
What is the default unique identifier in the application?
What is a subscriber key?
– a unique identifier for subscribers
– required with Enterprise 2.0 accounts
– when populated by a value that is NOT an email address, then an email address can exist multiple times in the data extension
What is a sendable data extension?
– it contains an email address of a subscriber
e.g., [email protected]
— customer number included
– data type must by email address
– is marked “Use for sending”
What is a send relationship?
it defines a field in the sendable data extension to map to Subscriber Key in All Subscribers when sending.
Name the 3 types of extensions you can create within the Marketing Cloud.
What does a Standard Data Extension do?
allows you to create custom fields to store data
How is a filtered extension generated?
is generated by filtering fields, measures, and filters for sendable data extensions from a source data extension
What are the 7 shortcuts that allow you to access your most frequent tasks quickly?
– create email
– create template
– upload image(s)
– create content area
– create list
– create data extension
– create report
What is an attribute?
data about a subscriber
How many random data extensions can be created at one time?
What does a Random Data Extension do?
– allows you to randomly select subscribers from a source data extension
– Random data extensions are segments of standard data extensions or filetered data extensions or other random data extensions
– only 12 can be created at 1 time
By default, the data extension retention policy deletes unused data extensions after ___________ months.
How often does the data extension delete process run?
Can you modify the delete settings for an existing data extension (after you set them up when creating the extension)?
But you can modify the deletion period for existing data extensions
What does checking the “Nullable” box mean?
it is not a required field
What is stored in Portfolio?
assets, such as email images, documents, or other multi-media assets
What is a triggered email?
– a message sent to an individual executed from an event that happens outside the Email Application.
– Shipping notice
– purchase confirmation
– welcome email
– abandon shopping cart campaign
Email design best practices
– design for the top 600 pixels by 3 inches
– make links look like links (bold, underlined)
– minimize the use of images
– minimize the use of copy/text
– make it easy to unsubscribe
– personalize subject lines and content
– avoid CSS
– minimize use of spam words
– use an optimized subject line
– use pre-header space
– trustworthy and recognizable from name
– make sure content is relevant and use content hierarchy
– optimize for images-off viewing
– make email actionable in any environment
– clear call to action
What are the data types available when creating a new data extension?
boolean (2 values, e.g., true/false)
What are the 4 ways you can import data into data extensions?
– Import Wizard
– Import Activity
– Automation Studio
Name the 4 steps for importing data.
1. prepare your file
– don’t use special characters in name
– delete columns
– move email address to last column
– header row for mapping
2. sourcefile location
– desktop or FTP site (use enhanced FTP in order to use IMport Wizard
– comma, tab, or other delimited file
3. Import your file
4. Review your results
Subject line best practices
– KISS – keep it short and sweet:
increase open rates
- show your style
- use A/B test
Discuss filename, type and format for importing
– filename must EXACTLY match the source file name on the FTP site
– name extension MUST include the file extension (.csv or .txt)
– the date format will be set to the account default, but can be changed
What are the options for mapping data for import?
– map by header row – default option. column headings match exactly to fields in a data extension
– Map by ordinal – use when source file does not have column headings or when naming conventions don’t match exactly. Specify order of source file as it relates to fields in data extension
– Map Manually – manually map column headings with fields in data extension
What are the 3 send options?
Guided Sent – send to a list or a group, a data filter, or a data extension. Send to multiple lists, groups, or data extensions
What are the steps to prepare for a Triggered Email?
– create email
– create list or data extension
– create send classification:
commercial or transactional
IP address for the send
What is an External Key?
the key that the person writing the API call will use when they write the call
What 2 things can A/B testing determine?
– highest click-through rate
– highest unique open rate
How can emails be made more relevant?
– dynamic content
What send method can be used to send to a list?
All send methods:
– Simple Send
– Guided Send
What are AMPScripts?
scripting lanugage embedded within an email.
Can use to include info from data extensions and also can be used to update data extensions from landing pages
What is the difference between responsible design and mobile aware?
– 1 version for all
– single column layout
– large text, images, buttons
-space out links and buttons so they can be tapped
– advanced techniques that serve up versions of an email that are optimized for the device
– involve extra design and coding, multiple versions
– uses spam-filtering software to ID words, phrases and patterns that are likely to trigger filters
– finds potential problems and suggests resolutions
– does NOT scan HTML code
– correct field syntax
– content and data being used for Dynamic Content rules are built correctly.
– guide template language and AMPScript is properly written
– validates for required elements:
A. subscribe link
B. physical mailing address
What does Automation Studio do?
Executes marketing automation activities either immediately or on a scheduled basis.
Name the Automation Studio activities.
Name the stages of an email approval process
When the email is in the “Pending” state of the approval process, can the submitter create a test email?
What is a list?
– a collection of your subscribers that receive your communications
– create as many lists as you need to segment your subscribers so that you can target your email communications
When does the validation of email address occur when importing with:
2. data extensions
Lists: time of import
Data Extensions: time of sending
What are the options for delivering and scheduling your report?
1. Email – to 1 or more people; excel, CSV, ZIP
2. upload to Enhanced FTP site
3. Download to computer
4. save a snapshot – online folder, previous versions
5. schedule to run on a recurring basis – can be emailed, placed on FTP, or saved as a snapshot
Whenever importing data into MC, List Detective is triggered at the time of import from…
What are the ways that data can be imported into the MC?
Use a LIST when…
<= 500,000 subscribers long-term
- prefer simplicity over performance
- exclusively supporting messages using Western ASCII character sets
- import speed is not critical
- your subscriber attributes will be limited in number
- you're using the XML API
Use a data extension when…
– you’re supporting multiple subscriber data sets with separate definitions
– you’re sending global messages
– your import speed is critical
– you’re using triggered sends
– you’re using the SOAP API
– you prefer a flexible subscription model
Name the 3 types of unsubscribes
– Global unsubscribe
– Master unsubscribe
– List-level unsubscribe
What is a Global Unsubscribe?
an event that occurs when a user unsubscribes from every email sent from Marketing Cloud
What is a Master unsubscribe?
a subscriber chooses to unsubscribe from every email sent from a company
How does a list-level unsubscribe work?
– can unsubscribe from a list via the subscription center. e.g., still receive some emails, not others
for Data Extensions
– a publication list can be used to keep track of subscribers who do not want to receive a particular email any longer
What are the 3 ways to import data?
– step-by-step guide to import data
– each time, import parameters must be defined
Import Activity –
– can be saved to be used again
– manual or automated via Automation Studio
– can execute an import pro-grammatically behind the scenes
Company is collecting data on customers that abandon their cart. The data file is prepared on a nightly basis and will be used to send out emails the following day. The Marketing team would like to create and manage the abandon cart automation.
What import should be used?
What are the 4 automation tools?
1. Playbooks -easiest to use
2. triggered emails
3. journey builder
4. Automation Studio
step-by-step guides for executing digital marketing campaigns throughout the customer lifecycle
What are the 3 Playbooks?
– Customer anniversary
What is a triggered email?
a message sent to an individual executed from an event that happens outside the Marketing Cloud
Name some examples of triggered emails
– purchase confirmation
– welcome email
– abandon shopping cart email
What is Journey Builder?
a 1:1 marketing engine that allows you to build real-time messages across online and offline channels based on actual customer behavior
it can be used to plan, personalize, and optimize any customer lifecycle program
API can be used in journey builder
Application Programming Interface
= source code based specs in order for one computer app to talk to another application
What is Automation Studio?
– a drag-and-drop interface that allows you to define a workflow and establish the schedule for the automation of various activities
– e.g., importing of data, exporting of data, sending of emails, refreshing of segments
Name the 2 type of automations within Automation Studio
1. Scheduled Automation
– use to run based on schedule you define, or
– to run an automation ONCE
2. Triggered Automation
– use to start automation based on the event of a file being dropped into your designated Enhanced FTP folder
Why does data need to be refreshed?
Filtered lists, data extensions, and groups are snapshots in time.
When new data is added, the segments need to be refreshed