Culturally Competence Plan Essay Example
Culturally Competence Plan Essay Example

Culturally Competence Plan Essay Example

Available Only on StudyHippo
  • Pages: 2 (479 words)
  • Published: April 16, 2022
View Entire Sample
Text preview


The standard cultural competence in nursing practice is crucial to establishing universally-applicable rules for nurses worldwide in the areas of clinical practice, education, research, and administration, particularly those involved in direct patient care. The nursing qualified plan aims to provide equal healthcare opportunities to individuals, communities, families, and populations. This paper will discuss a qualified plan specifically designed for a hospitalized man of Ugandan descent.

High Risk Health Behaviors

According to Steinhart Osoba, Ikime, and Uzoigwe (1971), alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and unsafe sexual behavior are some of the risky behaviors commonly observed among the Ugandan population.


Ugandans primarily communicate in Swahili (Lugira, 2013). The customary greeting is "Habari," which means "hello." They also use "Karibu," a Swahili word tha


t signifies hospitality. In response to frustrating problems, Ugandans often say "shauri ya Mungu," which translates to "it is the will of God."

Death Rituals

After a drum beating ceremony (Lugira, 2013), Ugandans bury the deceased in caskets. Funerals are promptly held within five days to confirm the person's passing. The bodies are typically wrapped in bark cloth and buried outside the town. It is the responsibility of family members to transport and bury the body.

Funeral attendees deposit on the grace hair from the back and front of their heads.

Healthcare Practice

Healthcare workers in Uganda wash their hands after attending to patients although they believe that hand washing was more of self-protection than to prevent patient to patient transmission (Steinhart Osoba, Ikime, and Uzoigwe, 1971).


Uganda women seek to handle birth on their own because it is a time when they can us

View entire sample
Join StudyHippo to see entire essay

their power and make their decision (Steinhart Osoba, Ikime, and Uzoigwe, 1971). Moreover, there are unintended cases of unintended pregnancy among the Ugandans.

Family Organization

Ugandans tend to establish single family homes where children learn reverence for God and their family (Steinhart Osoba, Ikime and Uzoigwe, 1971). The choice of marriage partners is made by individuals.


About 67% of Uganda's population practices Christianity (Steinhart Osoba, Ikime, and Uzoigwe, 1971), while the remaining 33% follow Islam or indigenous religions that believe in a creator and ancestral spirits. The act of sacrificing and praying is a way to show respect for the deceased who are believed to be alive.


In order for the healthcare system and agency to operate efficiently, it is crucial for them to possess cultural competence.

The cultural competence plan helps health practitioners to understand the dynamics that arise from cultural differences and adapt services to meet the unique needs of different cultures.


  1. Lugira, A. M. (2013). Ugandan Americans. Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity, and Society. doi:10.4135/9781412963879.n561
  2. Steinhart, E. I., Osoba, S., Ikime, O., & Uzoigwe, G. N. (1971). Tarikh, Volume III, Number 2, 1970. The Peoples of Uganda in the Nineteenth Century.

The and their content, "

African Historical Studies, 4(1), 233. doi:10.2307/216320

", remain unchanged in theand unified text.

Get an explanation on any task
Get unstuck with the help of our AI assistant in seconds