History 1101 American Colonies
➢ What saved the settlement?
(British was poor)
-supply from Britain was expensive
– create first World’s Cooperation (Virginia Company)2)Found Death!
a.) Diseases (malaria & yellow fever)
-ate food given by Indians (corn)
– settlers were gentleman and craftsmen ( no farmers were among the immigrants)
-ate bark, snake, rats, leather, cannibalism
-supply ships came but takes a long time to arrive
c.) Indians (Palitan Indians in Chesapeake Bay)
– Area of most powerful military alliance of 30 Indian tribes
-outnumbered 14,000 indians vs 104 white men
– Indian surprise attack immigrants, 1/3 Virginia settlers killed
What Saved Jamestown:
Tobacco – high demand, taxed on, growing boom
-first contact between Indian and European
-turned Virginia into money making colony
➢ What reforms did they subsequently enact?
➢ What long-term impact did they have on American society?
1)No instant wealth, no easy money2)Colonies could be profitable through agriculture, over longer stretch of time (ex:tobacco)
3)large permanent population needed to stay(need people to grow colony)
1) Free-land (biggest appeal) wealth is in the land 20% own land, 80% are property and landless- 102 acres given to anyone who can pay their way over (2nd chance in life)
2)First Legislature in New World (colonies chose their own gov.)
-1st government was Virginia House of Burgesses
-Landowners/property owners can vote and serve in these legislature
C) Long term impacts/consequences:
1) Equality(giving out free land- no one is born better than anyone- economic equality)
2)Democracy (all colonies can choose their own legislature – where people choose their own gov) – easier to govern
3)Ethnic & Religious Diversity (because of immigration)
➢ What were five distinctive features of the Quaker colony of Pennsylvania?
-Do not believe in Original Sin (everyone was born bad)
– everyone at the core is good, have faith in human nature-people able to better themselves2)Freewill
– Do not believe in Pre-Destination (everything is already planned by God, already decided if you are going to heaven or hell before you were born)
-Everyone has a choice to go to heaven and do the right thing
-equality between people in eyes of God
-gave religious rights to women
– 1st religion to support anti-slavery
-Do not believe in war
– Friendlier relation with Indians (bought land from, instead of violently stealing)
5 features of Quaker colony:
1) Religious freedom(1 of 2 colonies founded on this principle)
– religious minority can workshop freely without fear of being persecuted, jailed, or killed
-only state where you don’t have to own property to vote or participate in politics
3) 1st Abolitionist (anti-slavery organization)
4)Farmland – most people made living by farmland
5)Most Ethnically & Religiously diverse of all colonies
– attract religious minority
-open minded = good for business
➢ Ultimately, what type of colony did it become?
-belief in value of individual people (people are poor because they are unlucky, not because they’re lazy)
-2nd chance to the poor,gave tools and land to the poor, to show they can improve their livesExperiment failed!
-Colonial times depend on rice
-19th C. depend on cotton plantation
-Then depend on African slaves for labor force-plantation economy
a) A loyal colony to Britain, no self gov., Freemen were given right to vote and people elected an assembly(unless you were Roman Catholics). governor appointed by the king.
➢ Identify four distinctive features of the Massachusetts Bay colony
1) believe in Original Sin
2) believe in Pre-destination
3)Biblical Literalist – every word of the Bible is true
4) Believe in salvation by Convergian of Experience4 distinctive feature of Mass:
1)Stable Family structure
– greatest gender balance (1 women with 1 men)
-live longer (invented the \”grandfather\” generations, big families)
2) Stable Communities
-New England Township
-look out for each other
-majority can vote and serve in gov.
-most political experience in self gov.
-legally require to care for widows, orphans, mentally ill, and those who can’t take care of themselves (its law)
-greater economic equality than other colonies
-settled by middle class (limited acres of land are guaranteed to everyone)
-everyone need to read the Bible
– highest literacy rate in world
-1st public schools (tax supported elementary)
-1st colleges (Harvard)
-built 1st printing press in New World ( publishing the most books)
-Female literacy = Male literacy