The Shapes of Computers Today Essay
This lesson includes the undermentioned subdivisions:
• Supercomputers • Mainframe Computers • Minicomputers • Workstations • Microcomputers. or Personal Computers
The Shapes of Computers Today – Supercomputers
• Supercomputers are the most powerful computing machines. They are used for jobs necessitating complex computations.
• Because of their size and disbursal. supercomputers are comparatively rare.
• Supercomputers are used by universities. authorities bureaus. and big concerns.
The Shapes of Computers Today – Mainframe Computers
• Mainframe computing machines can back up 100s or 1000s of users. managing monolithic sums of input. end product. and storage.
• Mainframe computing machines are used in big organisations where many users need entree to shared informations and plans.
• Mainframes are besides used as e-commerce waiters. managing minutess over the Internet.
The Shapes of Computers Today – Minicomputers
• Minicomputers are smaller than mainframes but larger than personal computers.
• Minicomputers normally have multiple terminuss.
• Minicomputers may be used as web waiters and Internet waiters.
The Shapes of Computers Today – Workstations
• Workstations are powerful single-user computing machines.
• Workstations are used for undertakings that require a great trade of number-crunching power. such as merchandise design and computing machine life.
• Workstations are frequently used as web and Internet waiters.
The Shapes of Computers Today – Microcomputers. or Personal Computers
• Personal computers are more normally known as personal computing machines. The term “PC” is applied to IBM-PCs or compatible computing machines.
• Full-size desktop computing machines are the most common type of Personal computer.
• Notebook ( laptop ) computing machines are used by people who need the power of a desktop system. but besides portability.
• Handheld PCs ( such as PDAs ) lack the power of a desktop or notebook Personal computer. but offer characteristics for users who need limited maps and little size.
Lesson 2 Review
• List the five most common types of computing machine systems.
• Identify two alone characteristics of supercomputers.
• Describe a typical usage for mainframe computing machines
• Differentiate workstations from personal computing machines.
• Identify four types of personal computing machines.