How to Write a Movie Analysis Essay: Tips and Examples
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all the help you need with your essay and educational goals.Get Access
Movie analysis essay should reflect main ideas regarding the message, plot, symbolism and general impression of the movie you have viewed. However, not only the film itself should be critiqued but also the background factors such as director’s approach, the inspiration behind the plot, casting choice, etc. Everything depends on the objective of your paper. Therefore, in this article, you will learn how to write a movie analysis essay in the quickest period of time and get high-quality work.
How to Start to Write?
In order to come up with a coherent analysis, you have to watch the film, to begin with. After that try and gather all the information that would help you get a better understanding of the approaches implemented in the movie, and what purpose they served.
Everything begins when you select the topic for investigation. Unless you have a specific theme, you have all the advantages to select what is the most exciting for you. It can be related to the symbolism of the interwoven plot, some details which play a certain role, analysis of the main characters, their inner changes, cinematography, historical background, relation to the book, and many other themes. If you make your paper narrowed in one meaning, it will be easier to find examples and arguments.
Outline For a Movie Analysis
Outlining main ideas will help you not only structure your essay in a logical way, but also show you how they correlate. Correspondingly, it might help you understand what should go next in a logical chain of ideas. It is suggested to write down all objectives that come into your mind first, and only after that get them in order.
Writing an Introduction
In the introduction you have to state the name of the film, general idea and what aspect of the movie would you be elaborating on the most. The introduction should be a summary of the objectives discussed in the following paragraphs.
Writing Body Paragraphs
Each body paragraph should be dedicated to a separate idea/objective. Begin with the topic sentence which signals about the specific theme that you are going to describe in the paper.
It is advised to subdivide the movie analysis into the following paragraphs.
- I. Background of a storyline (fiction, based on true-life events), screenplay (timeframe, peculiarities), cast.
- II. Imagery, character description, events that serve as a turning point in the movie.
- III. The main goal of a story told in the movie. What feelings does it should evoke in the reader?
A Movie Analysis Conclusion
In conclusion, an objective opinion should be stated. Personal ideas can be used to do so, but should not intervene with the universal truth: tastes differ. A good movie analysis essay should make the reader explore the movie by themselves and not convince that it is worth/not worth watching.
Secret Tips for Preparing a Good Movie Essay
If you understand everything about how to write a movie analysis essay, but it feels that there is some more information which you need to comprehend, consider the following tips. They are prepared by the professionals who have written hundreds of film analysis papers for students. They know what to recommend.
- Before you begin watching a film, take a pen and a notebook. Make notes when you find interesting quotes while watching. It will save your time. Moreover, your notes can become a skeleton for the outline.
- Watch the movie with subtitles. Sometimes we miss significant information if we only hear the information. When seeing the text, you will focus more on its meaning and hidden symbolism which is vital for your paper.
- Analyze and evaluate the movie analysis essay example. There are multiple of the good samples which you can find here. Such papers will help you understand how the structure should be made.
- Prepare an interesting beginning that will catch your reader’s attention. If you are writing the paper for a teacher, don’t think that he or she is interested in the bare plot only. Teachers are also ordinary people who adore interesting stories.
- Pay attention to how you end the text. The last sentence should be thought-provoking, leaving the reader food for the imagination. However, don’t mix it with giving ambiguous arguments. The last sentence should be related to the thesis which you prove, but it can show how something small may influence the bigger picture.
- Make your paragraphs and sentences short. Unless you need to prove the theoretical knowledge of complex and composite sentences, it is highly advisable to stick to short phrases. This will help readers understand your idea and message. If you write in a complex way, it may make the target audience perplexed. Make your sentences short, clear, and logical.
- Pay attention to the visual and meaningful structure. It means that when you cast a glance on your text, you need to identify how many paragraphs are there quickly. Each section should have a distinct paragraph indent.
- Read your completed paper aloud. It is the easiest way to spot any mistakes. You will never find them even if reading carefully line by line silently. Your voice will help you correct stylistic mistakes which worsen the content.
- Ask for the teacher’s feedback. This will help you improve your writing skills and prepare more efficient papers to receive a high mark.
One last recommendation is don’t postpone your writing. Try to start doing the task when you received it. Although it doesn’t correlate with the student’s rule to make everything during the last night, this tip may help you prepare a great movie essay.
Get access to
Guarantee No Hidden