Heart Healthy Information Security Policy Essay Essay
Due to forces. policy and system alterations. and audits. Heart Healthy has voluntarily updated their information security policy to be in-line with the current information security Torahs and ordinances. Presently Heart-healthy Insurance. a big insurance company. programs to reexamine and supply recommendations for an updated information security policy in the country ‘s of: 1. Current New Users Policy – The current new user subdivision of the policy provinces:
“New users are assigned entree based on the content of an entree petition. The submitter must subscribe the petition and indicate which systems the new user will necessitate entree to and what degree of entree will be needed. A manager’s blessing is required to allow decision maker entree. ” ( Heart-healthy Insurance Information Security Policy )
2. Current Password Requirements – The current watchword demands subdivision of the policy provinces:
“Passwords must be at least eight characters long and incorporate a combination of upper- and lowercase letters. Shared watchwords are non permitted on any system that contains patient information. When resetting a watchword. users can non recycle any of the old six watchwords that were used. Users come ining an incorrect watchword more than three times will be locked out for at least 15 proceedingss before the watchword can be reset. ” ( Heart-healthy Insurance Information Security Policy )
Heart Healthy Insurance Information Security Policy and Update
Proposed User Access Policy
The intent of the User Access Policy is to supply entree to Heart-Healthy’s web substructure and to guarantee appropriate entree to all of Heart-Healthy’s information resources. The intent of Heart-Healthy’s “Network Access Policy” is to set up the appropriate degree of user entree to Heart-Healthy’s web substructure. Heart-Healthy’s web entree regulations are necessary in order to continue the confidentiality. Integrity and handiness of Heart-Healthy’s proprietary information.
Heart-Healthy’s Information Security Office will be responsible for direction and disposal of Heart-Healthy’s information security map ( s ) . Heart-Healthy’s Information Security Office will be the main point of contact for any and all security related maps. User Access Policy
* Heart-healthy users will be permitted entree based on the rule of least privileges’ * Remote entree or dial-in-services will be requested by Manager degree places and up. and approved by the Information Security Department. * End users are non allowed to re-transmit or widen any of Heart-Healthy’s web services. E. g. users will non attach hubs. switches. firewalls. entree points to Heart-Healthy’s web without anterior written mandate. * Users are non allowed to put in any extra hardware or package without the express written consent from the Heart-healthy information engineering section.
* All Heart-Healthy computing machine systems will conform to bureau criterions * End users are non allowed to download. put in or run any plans that could potentially uncover or sabotage Heart-Healthy’s in-place security system. e. g. package sniffers. watchword crackers or web function tools are purely forbidden. All Heart-healthy employees. 3rd party contractors are responsible for pull offing their information resources and will be held accountable for any information security misdemeanors or misdemeanors
Current Password Policies and Requirements
“Passwords must be at least eight characters long and incorporate a combination of upper- and lowercase letters. Shared watchwords are non permitted on any system that contains patient information. When resetting a watchword. users can non recycle any of the old six watchwords that were used. Users come ining an incorrect watchword more than three times will be locked out for at least 15 proceedingss before the watchword can be reset” ( Heart-healthy Insurance Group Information Security Policy ) .
NIST Special Publication 800-63
The stronger the watchword. the more likely that watchword guesswork and snap will be deterred. The combination of the watchword and the complexness straight lead to its capriciousness. With 8 character complex watchwords. with current GPU processing power a watchword can be broken in less than 26 yearss by wash uping all possible combinations.
Proposed Password Guidelines
* Passwords should be a lower limit of 14 characters
* Passwords based on dictionary words are prohibited
* Passwords based on favored names. biographical information. children’s names. no names of relations
* Passwords must dwell of a mixture of capital. small letter. and a particular character
* System will retrieve last 12 watchwords
* If watchwords are written down. they must be kept in a safe topographic point. e. g. a billfold. or a safe. Passwords are non be be written down and tape to the underside of the keyboard. stuck to the computing machine proctor with a gluey note. or put in an unbarred desk drawer.
* All watchwords will be changed every 90 yearss
Proposed Password Policy
Heart-healthy watchword policy guideline is a recommendation for making a new user watchword. This policy is a guideline to assist stop users in:
* Choosing and making a strong watchword
* Ensure that watchwords are extremely immune to brute force onslaughts and watchword guesswork
* Recommendations on how users should manage and hive away their watchwords safely
* Recommendations on lost or stolen watchwords
* Password termination will function 2 specific intents:
* Password termination will restrict the clip crackers have to either conjecture. or beastly force a watchword.
* If a watchword has been compromised. the watchword termination will assist to restrict the clip the cracker / hacker has entree to Heart-Healthy’s internal networking system.
Heart-Healthy has embarked on a way to convey their information security position sing “Password Requirements” and “New Users” up-to-date. Heart-Healthy has used NIST ( National Institute of Standards ) and HIPAA ( Health Insurance Portability and Accounting Act ) ordinances in order to accomplish their end of supplying the CIA ( Confidentiality. Integrity. Authorization ) three for information security. The federal authorities has implemented a figure of Torahs and ordinances that pertain to the handling. reviewing and conformity confidence of private or confidential informations. With regard to NIST. and HIPAA ; although they do non specifically sketch the methods in these paperss. Heart-Healthy is obligated to do an effort to implement sensible criterions in order to run into the current legal duties outlined by these Torahs and ordinances.
Heart-Healthy will concentrate on three chief classs for their security position:
* Physical Security – Heart-Healthy has designed their physical security around protecting computing machine systems that store confidential informations. * Technical Security – Heart-Healthy has implemented package and security precautions designed specifically to guarantee entree is controlled. and the unity and the hallmark of the stored information remains integral. * Administrative Security – Heart-Healthy’s administrative security ensures that Heart-Healthy processs. criterions. security steps. and organisational policies are implemented by qualified forces.
The HIPAA Security Rule
The HIPAA Security Rule establishes national criterions to protect individuals’ electronic personal wellness information ( ePHI ) that is created. received. used. or maintained by a covered entity. The Security Rule requires appropriate administrative. physical and proficient precautions to guarantee the confidentiality. unity. and security of electronic protected wellness information ( HSS. gov ) .
NIST ensures that the CIA ( Confidentiality. Integrity. and Availability ) of any electronic personal wellness information ( EPHI ) information that is maintained. received or transmitted is protected from possible menaces and jeopardies that could potentially impact the unity of the ePHI information. NIST besides provides protection against the accidental or knowing exposure of private information.
Heart-healthy understands that information security means protecting their information from unauthorised revelation. entree and any breaks. Heart-healthy understands the difference in protecting their sensitive informations prevarications chiefly in their attack. Heart-Healthy has taken safeguards to forestall inadvertent or knowing exposure to electronic private wellness information. Heart-healthy feels confident that these policies put Forth will assist extinguish unauthorised entree to Heart-Healthy’s information systems. Heart-Healthy’s proficient security policies will assist guarantee that terminal users are responsible for their information. Technical policies will besides function to protect terminal users from inadvertent exposure by supplying equal protection to stop users watchwords and confidential informations.
Heart-Healthy will supply one-year preparation on their new policies. in order to guarantee terminal users are cognizant of security hazards and that terminal users will finally be accountable for their personal security consciousness. Heart-healthy forces will finally be responsible for the direction of their information resources and will be held accountable for their actions in relation to their information security. All entree to Heart-Healthy information resources are for authorised concern intents merely. Heart-Healthy will non supply entree to or vouch entree to e-mail. web shoping. Heart-Healthy will supervise all electronic communications that might be needed in order to carry through a ailment or any fact-finding demands. Heart-healthy understands that if any confidential information is breached or falls into the custodies of a rival or a hacker that the effects could be lay waste toing.
mailchip. com. ( 2012 ) . 3 Billion Passwords Per Second. Are Complex Passwords
Enough Anymore? . Retrieved from hypertext transfer protocol: //blog. mailchimp. com/3-billion-passwords-per-second-are-complex-passwords-enough-anymore/ National Institute of Standards and Technology. gov. ( 2011 ) . NIST Policy on Information Technology Resources Access and Use. Retrieved from hypertext transfer protocol: //www. National Institute of Standards and Technology. gov/director/oism/itsd/policy_accnuse. cfm hassium. gov. ( ) . Health Information Privacy. Retrieved from hypertext transfer protocol: //www. Department of Health and Human Services. gov/ocr/privacy/index. hypertext markup language hassium. gov. ( ) . Health Information Privacy. Retrieved from hypertext transfer protocol: //www. Department of Health and Human Services. gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/securityrule/index. html National Institute of Standards and Technology. gov. ( ) . Guide to Enterprise Password Management. Retrieved from hypertext transfer protocol: //csrc. National Institute of Standards and Technology. gov/publications/drafts/800-118/draft-sp800-118. pdf