Descriptive Paragraph: What Is It, How to Write and Examples
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all the help you need with your essay and educational goals.Get Access
All kinds of verbal art, epic, poem, or novel equally use a description, but always with various techniques and methods. In general, such way of emphasizing certain compositional details is closely related to a narrative genre and takes an appropriate place, depending on the purposes and manner of the writer. In a story, calculated accurate depiction of reality, it is often the basis of a plot itself, which is conducted in the order of successively changing widely and thoroughly captured moments.
What Is Descriptive Paragraph?
By mentioned category usually means a composite form for the detailed characterization of objects or phenomena for creating an artistic image. It is these elements that give a text some visibility, realized through an application of spatial relations. Isolation of features concerning particular subject forms a special meaning of the term itself.
A lot of writers turn to short descriptive paragraphs for making a vivid figure. If the narrative essay is aimed at revealing a storyline in the form of a personal monologue, then the depiction one performs a similar task with aid of sensory observations. Here, literary techniques are applied to revitalize a picture before the reader’s eyes.
On the whole, all depictions can be conditionally divided into two large groups. The first type should include people, animals, plants, and nature, in a word, everything that may be considered animate. The second kind includes a description of the city, seasons, things, or equipment.
After reading a similar expositive passage, a person must experience an effect of presence. It should be as he/she became a direct witness of events or felt the Arctic cold was mentioned in the previous chapter. An author did a tremendous job only if he or she achieved the establishment of a strong emotional connection between the characters and an audience.
How to Write a Descriptive Paragraph: Features of Genre
An excellent depiction motif could serve as a portal to the litterateur’s world. Correctly alternating details, a penman enlivens the subject in question. Your task as the author is to touch all five senses through an artistic word. Here are some descriptive paragraph examples:
“A soldier was walking along the yellow construction sand, heated by the daytime scorching sun. He was wet from the tips of his fingers to the tips of his hair. His body was strewn with scratches from sharp barbed wire and ached from the maddening pain, but he was alive and was heading to the command headquarters, which could be seen on the horizon about five hundred meters away”.
Before us is a fragment about the hero’s appearance. We may conclude that the military has been going for several days. He was very tired and seriously injured, but he did not lose his path.
“Kelly, such a sweet, good-natured and sympathetic girl, whose eyes were always radiant with kindness and warmth, with an imperturbable air of a living demon, went to the “Ugly Harry” bar with Thompson’s gun”.
Sometimes a writer conveys own feelings and emotions in order to form a right attitude to described objects. This ratio can be either positive or negative.
“Small gray catfish with funny antennae were looking for something on the bottom of the aquarium, and above them, like torpedoes swept bright red swordsmen with sharp spear-shaped tails. Pompous goldfish swam leisurely, generously allowing examining their lovely tails, like lush fans”.
This author described the aquarium, which he first saw as a boy. There is a childish delight, curiosity, and tenderness from the water world.
The Structure of Argument
The paper’s scheme depends on the previously stated goal, but in general, it consists of thematic paragraphs fulfilling their functions. An essential proposal should identify key descriptive essay thesis. The remaining phrases serve as a background detailing the penman’s statements. Conclusion focuses on the value of a chosen thing. Arrange all units in accordance with the content. If you feel a stupor, re-read rubrics and experiment with an arrangement. A final version should be logical and consistent.
You should enjoy the process of writing a descriptive essay, only then you can get an excellent result. Similar materials are not based on facts. They are guided by the writer’s talent to reconstruct a mental picture for the indifferent followers.
Tips on Writing a Descriptive Essay
Quality work requires a lot of time and effort. Here some advice in a coin box of your skills.
- Before you sit down at your desk or laptop, think about what you want to describe and for what purpose. It may be a person who influenced your choice of profession, or an amulet that brings you luck. You can depict a musical instrument, a favorite ice cream or a daily panorama from your window. The main thing is your theme should have significance for you. In an effort to be original, do not forget about own feelings. It is intuition tells you what to pay close attention to.
After careful selection, reflect on the qualities worthy of exposition. Arrange a kind of brainstorming, fixing all the ideas that come to mind. Remember the subject’s location, its physical or psychological traits, as well as emotions that you have. Study it from any angle to comprehend its smell, taste, and outlines. Combine all the details in the overall scheme and move along it sequentially.
- Use epithets, metaphors and various images to recreate an object. Instead of confining ourselves to an empty phrase like “a house was too old”, write that “a place smiled with its toothless windows and frowned at wooden forehead”. If you want to praise an intelligence of your friend, do not say that “he is smart”. It’s better to point out that he would be the first person to whom you turned when solving hard situations.
- Control reading. Revising a sample descriptive paragraph, learners change the document’s structure, if it needs. Adjustment is recommended to be carried out taking into account the next criteria:
- Disclosure of the topic in its entirety
- Logicalness of narration
- Emotionally saturated speech
- A link between descriptive moments and the plot itself
Keep in your mind an audience from the first to the last phrase. An exposition is accurate, but in no case is it ahead of the event. Otherwise, confusion and chaos appear in a vision. For instance, do not tell about a foxtail, without mentioning the meeting with a fox before.
- Here writers correct grammatical and spelling mistakes, work on improving a style, get rid of clichés, and add adverbs. You should have a friend who is able in a short time to get acquainted with your paper and see the problems to be corrected.
- The essay’s presentation for public inspection can turn into an exciting or terrifying test. There is no litterateur who does not worry about own composition. But experience cannot be negative. Learn from your own mistakes.
Thus, the success of writing a descriptive paragraph as an artistic device is entirely determined by tasks of the given work. In modern journalism, it may be noted a gradual replacement of static depictions by the principle of continuous narration. But when writing creative assignments, an original style is quite significant. Its availability in most cases could help, even if a person does not know some data.