Character Analysis: 5 Things to Learn, Types and How to Write
Get Full Essay
Get access to this section to get all the help you need with your essay and educational goals.Get Access
Students studying literature as the main subject are faced with the need to conduct a literary analysis of the hero every day. We suggest you to learn how to do this in order to improve your skills and to show off excellent knowledge before classmates and teachers.
What is Character Analysis?
This is one of the types of creative writing of training or control character. This is a composition of a descriptive type and includes a number of structural compositional parts: the analysis of character traits, the reporting of biographical data, the description of the inclinations of the hero, his interests, the description of the characteristics of the portrait as one of the components of the characteristic.
Types of Character Analysis Essays
- Individual characteristics;
- Comparative characteristics;
- Group characteristic.
How to Write a Character Analysis?
The character is the totality of all the mental, spiritual properties of a person, manifested in his actions and deeds. The character of the hero is expressed not only in the direct author’s characteristic, it is manifested in the statements of the hero, in his behavior, in relation to others, in the way of life, in the environment that surrounds him, in the events that occur with him, in his manners, speech, etc.
Write character analysis or analyze means to consider the actions and behavior of the hero in various circumstances, to show his inner world.
Sample Character Analysis Plan
- Introduction. The place of the hero in the work.
- Main part. Characteristics of the hero.
- The age of the hero, his social and financial situation.
- External appearance.
- His interests, inclinations, habits.
- Behavior and actions of the hero.
- How does the hero relate to others?
- How do others relate to the hero?
- What are the features of his inner experiences?
- Speech characteristic of the hero.
- Author’s attitude to the character.
- What features of the personality of the hero are revealed in the work?
III. The conclusion. Your attitude to the hero.
Character Analysis Example
Let’s consider the character analysis example and talk about Harry Potter, the most famous wizard in the world.
Harry’s biography, described in the book, was compiled during his teenage period, so some errors in drawing up a picture of character traits are allowed. Let’s start with the classification of emotional and volitional features. Harry’s parents served as the biological (or genetic) basis for the formation of certain traits of character.
Being full-fledged healthy individuals on all the parameters of the psychological portrait, they could leave the following character traits as Harry’s “gift”:
– strong-willed character, since his father was in the Quidditch sports team (a popular sport in the novel) and took the place of a player whose efforts depended on the outcome of the whole game, so Harry became a player of this plan during his studies;
– an emotionally stable character trait, which was described during the pre-war period descriptions in the biography of Harry’s parents, and their conflict-free response in discussions at meetings to defend against the main villain of the novel Volan de Mort.
Throughout the novel, one can observe the features of courage, initiative, perseverance, stability, and resilience in the character of Harry, which manifested themselves both in interpersonal communication and friendship and in stressful situations occurring with the protagonist.
An analysis of the second category of traits that characterizes the life orientation of the individual needs to be carried out on the basis of Harry’s life experience – his social environment and upbringing. Harry’s childhood could not be called joyous and bright. After the murder of his parents, Harry grew up in a house of cruel uncles and aunt. Disrespect, exploitation, limitations and strict relationship with the lack of tenderness and love were the basis for the development and development of Harry’s character.
Based on a positive genetic platform, the external circumstances of upbringing helped develop in Harry respect for people, sensitivity, a sense of justice and a desire to help. In the event that Harry’s biological base was different, then after growing up with his uncle and aunt, Harry could become stale, rude, aggressive, etc.
5 Helpful Tips ; Tricks
- First, look, does the author resort to using the “talking surname”. By this method, you can understand in advance what qualities the hero possesses. The first stage of the characterization is to describe the character of the hero, which is revealed in his actions, as well as his speech.
- Describe also the social position. If there is no explicit description, pay attention to how the hero talks. By speech, one can infer whether he is an educated or uneducated person.
- The next stage: how other heroes are related to the analyzed. This can be called the specification of his social position. There will also be those who sympathize with him, there will be those who respond negatively.
- Match the hero with other heroes. Analyze what he lacks and, conversely, how he towers over others.
- The final stage. How the character and way of thinking of the hero influence his future destiny, what qualities helped him to become happy or on the contrary made him unhappy. Ask questions about the hero’s fault for the circumstances that happened to him, whether he is responsible for them.