Cda Competency Goals 1 Infant and Oddler Essay
Competency Goal 1
To establish and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment A safe and healthy learning environment is essential for young children in a classroom. One goal in the functional area of safe is to prevent and reduce injuries and still have a learning environment that is conducive to the children learning their own safe and healthy environments.
- * Young infants are placed on their backs when they are sleeping. The crib is free of blankets, toys, or other soft materials that could cause suffocation.
- * Mobile infants are kept safe by making sure that there isn’t anything that is small enough they could put in their mouths and swallow. Toys are checked daily for broken or loose parts.
- * Toddlers are kept safe by showing them the proper use of toys. They are encouraged to follow safety rules such as walking instead of running and sitting on a chair instead of climbing on it.
Young infants are kept healthy by washing hands of both the caregiver and the child before and after every diaper change as well as sanitizing the changing table. Disposable gloves are used for the diapering process.
- * Mobile infants are kept healthy by cleaning and sanitizing play areas daily. Mouthed toys are immediately removed from the play area for later cleaning.
- * To keep toddlers healthy, nutritious meals are planned . Good eating habits are modeled and the child is encouraged to eat new foods.
- * Young infants are given the opportunity for tummy time to develop the strength to hold their heads up.
- * Mobile infants are given the opportunity to explore their environment by creeping and crawling but do so under supervision.
- * Toddlers’ learning environment includes creating a day to day routine for them as regular meal times, play times and rest times. This allows them to know what to expect.